Empty Bottles Fast!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajdougall

Reaction score
I just figured this out but it is probably well known in the home brewing faternity.

When emptying long necks hold the upturned bottle vertical and swirl it quickly clockwise. You will easily create a whirlpool. A bottle with a whirlpool will empty faster than one without. Try it!

I just figured this out but it is probably well known in the home brewing faternity.

When emptying long necks hold the upturned bottle vertical and swirl it quickly clockwise. You will easily create a whirlpool. A bottle with a whirlpool will empty faster than one without. Try it!

Interesting tip. Makes sense, really. I don't know why I've never thought to try it. *rushes for a long neck to do it* ANY EXCUSE! :beerbang:

or just stick a drill with a bottle brush in it on high speed that creates to much whirlpool sometimes it wont come out for a second or 2 lol

Yeah, I love how CUB bottles (which I never use except case swap ones) drain a million* times faster than the coopers or Lion Nathan ones with the shoulder and neck kind of design where it changes angles, they just form a little wide angle sprinkler that takes nearly as long to drain.

* feels like a million times longer if you exclusively bottle in coopers bottles.

Yes, but I don't think its anything to do with the Coriolis effect.
As per Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect "In reality, this experiment shows that the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than various other influences on drain direction, the direction in which water was initially added to the container and its geometry".
Given the small size of the bottle, the fact that you are holding it in your hand, and the fact that you are swirling it means that the forces you exert on the liquid are far far stronger than any Coriolis effect.

The reason it drains quicker (from memory) is because by creating a vortex when swirling the bottle, you are equalizing the pressure inside/outside the bottle and hence allowing it to drain faster - I'm sure a Goggle search could provide more information.

I actually watched two hard core brewery worker drinkers having a sculling competition one day - longnecks - one of them tipped the bottle vertical and gave it a swirl as he started sucking. He won. He could scull a bottle faster than someone who doesn't know this trick could actually pour one out!!

He is dead now... rather unsurprisingly

the fastest way is to get a bendy straw or two, put them into the bottle and bend the straws, upend the bottle into your mouth with the straws sticking out, they let the air into the bottom of the bottle just like swirling makes a gap for the air.
i did a litre once... in the end it was a mistake

the fastest way is to get a bendy straw or two, put them into the bottle and bend the straws, upend the bottle into your mouth with the straws sticking out, they let the air into the bottom of the bottle just like swirling makes a gap for the air.

Or just use one of these pocket beer bongs!

beer-bong.jpg

I made my mate skull a tallie of XXXX Bitter on his birthday because he's a filthy QLD Canetoads supporter. He did it.

Other tips for professional skulling:
1 - Try and get as much co2 out of the beer as possible before skulling
2 - Get the temperature too right. Cold goes down easier due to lack of flavour, but god damn it hurts your teeth and internal organs.

We call that a strawpedo. Had a few at a mate's place a couple of weekends ago. Certainly gets the beer out of the stubbie at a tremendous pace. I'm glad we stuck to the 375mL bottles though unlike deathwish Bradley....

Nothing beats shot-gunning a can....give it a shake, pierce the bottom, go hard :icon_drunk:

Back