Element selection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

#brewlife

Reaction score
i think I’m going to need 2 x 2200w elements in my keggle boil kettle. Problem being I don’t want to stagger the elements at different heights and I don’t want to butcher a kettle for some shorter elements.
I also want to install a short element in the bottom of my small 6l hex in the Center of my herms coil and the 2200w keg king or similar events are too long.
Anyone have any suggestions on s good element that can fit in both these situations?

Thanks.

Am I correct in thinking that I will need a seaparate 10a circuit for each 2200w element I have switched on?
I’ve put 1 in my HLT, 1 in my HEX, 2 in my BK.
So minimum 2 extension leads and swap over to the BK elements when ready to boil?
I also have 2 pumps.

I think so, 2400w is 10 amps. So with 2 on at once on the same circuit will result in the breaker tripping.

Thanks.

Am I correct in thinking that I will need a seaparate 10a circuit for each 2200w element I have switched on?
I’ve put 1 in my HLT, 1 in my HEX, 2 in my BK.
So minimum 2 extension leads and swap over to the BK elements when ready to boil?
I also have 2 pumps.
Yep like @FarsideOfCrazy said you'll need 2 separate circuits probably.
I tried running my HLT and Guten on same circuit and it tripped. (probably around 3500w all up)
Moved the urn to a different one and all is happy.

i think I’m going to need 2 x 2200w elements in my keggle boil kettle. Problem being I don’t want to stagger the elements at different heights and I don’t want to butcher a kettle for some shorter elements.
I also want to install a short element in the bottom of my small 6l hex in the Center of my herms coil and the 2200w keg king or similar events are too long.
Anyone have any suggestions on s good element that can fit in both these situations?
Unless you can find some sort of spiral element or multiple legged, I don't know of many shorter
a cheap Kmart kettle element will work in your HERMs, but I personally wouldn't use one in a boil kettle as I wouldn't think they'd have a very low watt density
Why don't you want to stagger the elements, other than for aesthetics?

Unless you can find some sort of spiral element or multiple legged, I don't know of many shorter
a cheap Kmart kettle element will work in your HERMs, but I personally wouldn't use one in a boil kettle as I wouldn't think they'd have a very low watt density
Why don't you want to stagger the elements, other than for aesthetics?
Thanks,
The missus made me promise not to wire anything myself so the kettle elements are out. I’m going to use a kettle as my heat exchanger but not bastardising the element.
Not staggering was purely for aesthetics but doesn’t matter much, can turn the first on as the wort from sparge covers it, then the second as it’s covered. Is there any trouble whirlpooling with the element/s on the same elevation as the lowest ball valve? I was thinking of using some silver cone tube around the outer rim of the keggle weighted down with a nipple to act as pickup tube and get the whirlpool going.

Back