Electric Urn 40l

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used it for boiling wort so I couldn't really say, but if you have no problem using an urn I dont see how this differs (other than its plastic). You can buy the elements 2200W for $58 (Link) and you could pick up a fermentor (Link) for $36 (30L) the fermentors already have a spot for a tap.

I have only had mine up to 75C and it held up fine. I dont think the plastic would be a problem it would be the volume that worried me (I would also install a tap).

My point is an urn is essentially anything with an element in it, you can buy the elements so just think about what vessel you use. You could get a 2400W hand held one for around the $100 (Link) if you wanted more power than the 2200W that is, which was heating water from about 17C to 75 C (20L) in about 30min.

I dont mean to flog grain and grape either, Im sure you can pick up products like that from a few brew shops, there just the one I used.

For my HLT Ive used an old coopers fermenter that i didnt use any more, and I bought a 2200W kettle from KMart for $9, ripped it apart and used the element out of that in the fermenter. There you go $9 30 litre HLT

16KG of grain? What size you brewing Fents?

Batz

Typically 60L batch's but want a HLT that can handle 100L batches for those big brew days.

EDIT - Im going to need a 70L HLT i think.....

Are you referring to use as a HWT or to actually mash in it?

If just using as a mash tun then it should easily handle a normal mash with five or six kilos of grain, or ten to twelve for a double batch.

As a HWT you would be right in your calcs.

BTW I've sourced some Birko 40 L at less than $300 in Brisbane so hoping they will still be available next month :icon_cheers:

HLT.

Ah so all is not lost :p So far I've been going on information from Catering Equipment companies websites, time to make some phone calls and have a drive down to Bris and get my hands on a few of them and see what's what :)

Just phoned Bunnings and they don't sell them so that's a start anyway.

Back