Electric Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ant

Reaction score
So, next question.

Im looking at an electric HLT, with a fixed immersion element. The HLT is 500mm diameter and 500mm high (98L volume). Ill be doing both single and double batches, so the limiting factor will be the height of the element for a single batch (eg 40L, which will be ~200mm from base to allow mixing above and below the element).

The question Im posing then, is where is the best place for a thermowell (to control the element) to be positioned in relation to the element? In the case of a single batch, where the HLT will have 200mm of water (40L) in it, there will be ~ 90mm above (and below) the element. For those of us who know stuff about thermodynamics (clearly not me), how close to both the element and the surface of the water should the thermowell be to maintain accurate temp control?

And would there be any impact on temp control accuracy with convective currents associated with double batch volumes in the HLT? Stratification, etc? Is a windscreeen wiper type stirrer going to be the only real answer?

My brain hurts.

Is a windscreeen wiper type stirrer going to be the only real answer?

Yes
And it could not be easier

Batz

As Batz states, if you want an accurate measure and accurate control you'll have to stir.

A stirrer would be the best, but you can also try recirculating if you have a pump. I have mine setup so it measures the temp of the water going back into the HLT. I then know this is the exact temp going into my mash tun.

Jye, You got any pictures of this setup?

Could you use an old washing machine pump?

rook

Wiper motor is simple,I'll post a pic later

Batz

Jye, You got any pictures of this setup?

Nothing very special about it, just a side return in the top of the HLT. When I eventually get a MashMaster thermometer I will be fitting it to the return but for now Im still holding my stick thermometer in the return water.

Wiper stirrer

So, next question.

Im looking at an electric HLT, with a fixed immersion element. The HLT is 500mm diameter and 500mm high (98L volume). Ill be doing both single and double batches, so the limiting factor will be the height of the element for a single batch (eg 40L, which will be ~200mm from base to allow mixing above and below the element).

The question Im posing then, is where is the best place for a thermowell (to control the element) to be positioned in relation to the element? In the case of a single batch, where the HLT will have 200mm of water (40L) in it, there will be ~ 90mm above (and below) the element. For those of us who know stuff about thermodynamics (clearly not me), how close to both the element and the surface of the water should the thermowell be to maintain accurate temp control?

And would there be any impact on temp control accuracy with convective currents associated with double batch volumes in the HLT? Stratification, etc? Is a windscreeen wiper type stirrer going to be the only real answer?

My brain hurts.

FWIW put the element as low as you can possibly get it as heat rises and you can take full advantage of the phenomenon. In your proposed design, what happens when the level in your HLT drops below 200mm and the element is still heating, the element burns out is what happens!

I would put the thermowell a few inches above the element.

Plus if you put the element low and is has enough oomph then you can use it as an electric kettle instead, what size element are you thinking of?

Thanks folks - always plenty of good advice for those willing to ask a question!

Sounding to me like I'll go for the 2400W element somewhere 50-100mm off the bottom of the vessel, with the thermowell maybe 75-100mm above it, and strongly consider the use of a stirring device (thanks Batz for pics - will search on wiper motors next).

Ausdb - already have separate vessel for kettle, and NASA to fire it. Also have a handheld element to speed things up a bit if required. Went 2400W so I don't have to get the sparky back in...

You can get three speeds out of a wiper motor. The normal 'factory' two speeds and if you take the negative off the negative lead and connect the supply between the leads that are normally used seperately for the two speeds then the motor will run faster than the normal top speed.

Look for a more complete post than this, by me, on mill motors or PM is this is hard to understand.

A useful and cheap supply is a PC power supply. You will only need the 12 volt rail.

Kirk

You can get three speeds out of a wiper motor. The normal 'factory' two speeds and if you take the negative off the negative lead and connect the supply between the leads that are normally used seperately for the two speeds then the motor will run faster than the normal top speed.

Look for a more complete post than this, by me, on mill motors or PM is this is hard to understand.

A useful and cheap supply is a PC power supply. You will only need the 12 volt rail.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk

I think I can figure what you mean.
As I have both a wipermotor, and an old PCU I will give it a try.

If any white smoke appear I will send you a PM :)

Kind regards
Flemming

Latest posts

Back