Electric 20ltr urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigcroc64

Reaction score
ok so im thinking of alternative power sources to heat the sparg and do you recon i could boil the mash in a urn.I see 1 on gumtree for $70.As I've been reading some from scratch recipes and they sound like they would taste so much better.cant be that hard it seems its just a set of processes.just have know idea where to buy ingredients as there is no one i know of up here who sells ,brew grains.unless i can buy it from a farm feed joint .rofl.Any help please

It's not really boiling the grains, you want to hold them at a specific temperature/s (mid-high 60's for a single step infusion mash). 20L urn might be a bit small I'd imagine for what you want to do, unless you're brewing small batches. Do some research on BIAB and stovetop methods if you're looking for a cheap entry point, but for both of these methods I'd imagine there'd be cheaper and more applicable alternatives to a 20L urn.

Can't help you on the grains, sorry :)

Thanks mate no probs ill give the urn a miss.just a thought .Not sure if its even going to be worth it as im in another part of the world and shipping is bullshite to get anything up here

Hay bigcroc64,

I use a 20ltr urn i got at a market for $10 it cleaned up ok, your looking at 3-4.5kg grain tops mashed in about 16ltr of water. I use a metal ruler from bunnings to measure water 1.4cm = 1litr in my urn.heat water to 70c to 75c add grain and it should sit on 66c for an hour no probs. then pull grain and start boil adding hops when needed. will end up with 10ltr in (10ltr water grade jerry can there white plastic) also from bunnings.

Gday gillie ,thanks for that yer thought the urn was way to exy ill offer $30 lol,mate so if i did it twice i can get 20ltr ,and i have 2 19 ltr kegs sounds like might be a goer .THANKS hEAPS

you can use it to do maxi-biab look up BAIBrewer.info to get the full "HOW TO" but in short u top up the wort with water through the boil untill you hit your 20ltr. If needed you may need to add xtra water to fermenter.

bigcroc64 said:
ok so im thinking of alternative power sources to heat the sparg and do you recon i could boil the mash in a urn.I see 1 on gumtree for $70.As I've been reading some from scratch recipes and they sound like they would taste so much better.cant be that hard it seems its just a set of processes.just have know idea where to buy ingredients as there is no one i know of up here who sells ,brew grains.unless i can buy it from a farm feed joint .rofl.Any help please
Hey Bigcroc, a member here by name of Slash22000 was posting here from Darwin not too long ago. He was checking out local sources for malt and looking into getting stuff shipped in bulk up to Darwin. Give him a PM and see if he ever got it sorted.

Bit weird isn't it, a city with the highest beer consumption per capita in the world and yet not a grain of malt for the homebrewer to be had.

yer dam right feldon so true mate so true ,ok thanks heaps mate ill send him a pm .Cheers gillie for your help ill be sure to check it out thanks again.

Latest posts

Back