Egg Whites As Finings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grantsglutenfreehomebrew

Reaction score
Has anyone used egg whites as finings and if so how did it go and how much should I use for a 23 litre brew.

Thanks

Has anyone used egg whites as finings and if so how did it go and how much should I use for a 23 litre brew.

Thanks

Have not used egg whites for beer but have for wine and they can be a PITA to mix properly. Mind you that was with powdered whites. I can't recommend gelatin highly enough. Its cheap and available off the grocery shelf and works well.

BYB

Thanks

When do you plan on using the egg whites? At the end of the boil before you cool it?

Sounds interesting. I am a chef and I use egg whites to make a raft when I make consommes. Cleans them up beautifully. I would usually use at least 20 odd egg whites for a soup of that size. Thats just a rough estimate, theres always a shed load of egg whites around. I just pour some in a bowl and give it a rough whisk before whirlpooling the soup and adding the egg whites.

Seems a lot of trouble for beer though. You'd have to strain it all through something like cheesecloth or a hop sock as well.Is there any reason you're not interested in gelatin? Vegetarian?

Dave

You know you can use em to fix a leaky radiator also.

True..

Never tried egg whites as finings, but have read about it for wine.

This is what one site says about the dosage (for wine):

http://www.brewerylane.com/finings.html

Dosage is 1/5 to egg white per 23 litres.

Capture.PNG

thanks
Bjorn

Egg whites are, as like many other fining agents (PVPP, isinglass (fish bladder product), pea protein, casein (skim milk powder)), a proteinous substance which attaches to negatively-charged substances which then settles to the bottom of the fermenter...in wines they are generally only used in red wines, and at a time after fermentation is complete. At the winery I work at, we generally use 1 to 2 eggs per barrel (225 L)...but we do actually do experiments to determine the best rate...you can buy straight egg whites from the shops, you mix the whites with water with a 5% salt add.

Back