Efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhouken

Reaction score
When I take a gravity reading at the end of the mash do I need to correct for temperature in order to calculate the extraction efficiency? I am using the example in John Palmer's book page 192, 3rd edition if that helps.

If you are using a hydrometer, then yes correction is required (or chill it in an ice bath) down to 20 deg.

Using a refractometer you don't need to correct for temperature (the small sample volume cools quickly when applied to the viewing glass).

When I take a gravity reading at the end of the mash do I need to correct for temperature in order to calculate the extraction efficiency? I am using the example in John Palmer's book page 192, 3rd edition if that helps.

Do you mean lower the temp to get an accurate reading?

If you're using a hydrometer, yes. If you're using a refractometer, no. If using a hydrometer, cool the wort to the temp your hydrometer is calibrated at. Most are 20 degrees, some are 18 degrees.

Disclaimer: I've never read John Palmer's book so I'm not sure what page 192 says..... :icon_cheers:

EDIT: I type too slow.....

I think you need to correct the volume of wort for temperature too in order to get an accurate efficiency

Beersmith (& others) have a hydrometer correction tool , just enter the SG and temp ... or cool it down.

I think you need to correct the volume of wort for temperature too in order to get an accurate efficiency

I asked a question about this some time ago on the BeerSmith Forum.
The answer was that BeerSmith does not take this into account in its calculations in the Hydrometer Tool.
I don't know whether BeerSmith 2 now does or not.

Does anyone have a table as to the % shrinkage of wort at various temperatures between say 20C and 100C ?

I asked a question about this some time ago on the BeerSmith Forum.
The answer was that BeerSmith does not take this into account in its calculations in the Hydrometer Tool.
I don't know whether BeerSmith 2 now does or not.

Does anyone have a table as to the % shrinkage of wort at various temperatures between say 20C and 100C ?

No table but the industry norm is 4%. Simply build that in to your overall "loss" factor along with trub, ullages etc.

Wes

No table but the industry norm is 4%. Simply build that in to your overall "loss" factor along with trub, ullages etc.

Wes

Thanks for that.
I'm still wondering if the shrinkage is linear between the 2 temperatures I mentioned.

Doesn't Beersmith have a cooling factor (%) ?

Back