Efficiency according to Brewmate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewhouse efficency is the same thing regardless of software used. It means the same thing everytime someone says it.

jc64 said:
Brewhouse efficency is the same thing regardless of software used. It means the same thing everytime someone says it.
If that was the case we wouldn't be in this mess of a topic.

If you can do a breakdown of Crusty's 27L then please do.

You have already I thought

No, Spudfarmer I think.

No, Crusty said that his 27L became 23L at the end of the boil after trub and cooling loss

Then he said he got 20L in the cube which was 20L + 4L trub - 1L cooling loss = 23L at the end of the boil.

I am sure there is a simple oversight / disconnect in communication but it's certainly not resolved.

nala said:
The original poster of this topic asked : Can someone explain how to use the Brewhouse efficiency in the Brewday worksheet
in BREWMATE.
He did not asked how to calculate efficiency using : PROMASH - BEERSMITH or any other software, he did not ask how forum members calculate efficiency.
Crusty has explained, how to determine the efficiency using the BREWMATE calculator whether anybody likes it or not.
Hopefully Birkdale Bob has got his answer.
Thank you for your patience Crusty.
Crusty's definitions might be spot on but his maths isn't.

If Brewhouse efficiency includes the trub minus cooling loss then in the example we've been discussing the correct value to enter into Brewmate is 26l. 27l in the kettle after the boil, minus 1l cooling loss.

Parks said:
No, Crusty said that his 27L became 23L at the end of the boil after trub and cooling loss

Then he said he got 20L in the cube which was 20L + 4L trub - 1L cooling loss = 23L at the end of the boil.

I am sure there is a simple oversight / disconnect in communication but it's certainly not resolved.
I don't know what that second line would be, i only account for losses to trub and chilling once.

jc64 said:
I don't know what that second line would be, i only account for losses to trub and chilling once.
That's why we're all confused!

Well let's not be confused :D I don't know how to get a screenshot of a brewday screen but what ends up in my fermentor is the Actual volume in the kettle, which is the after cooling figure of course.

jc64 said:
Well let's not be confused :D I don't know how to get a screenshot of a brewday screen but what ends up in my fermentor is the Actual volume in the kettle, which is the after cooling figure of course.
So you ferment on the hot break etc and have no loss to chiller, or is your 'actual volume' accounting for those losses?

(serious question)

-edit-

Kinda like "the actual volume is the volume I can get out of my kettle"

Kudzu said:
Crusty's definitions might be spot on but his maths isn't.

If Brewhouse efficiency includes the trub minus cooling loss then in the example we've been discussing the correct value to enter into Brewmate is 26l. 27l in the kettle after the boil, minus 1l cooling loss.
I am attaching a Brewday worksheet from Brewmate.
You will see the Brewhouse efficiency calculator....it calls for volume in kettle, it calls for OG, it then calculates the brewhouse efficiency from these two numbers, it does not call for any other factor, if people do not agree that this is not the way to calculate brewhouse efficiency, then that is another subject. I repeat what I said...the original question by Birkdale Bob, was how to calculate Brewhouse efficiency using BREWMATE !!!

Galaxy 56 2.png

nala said:
You will see the Brewhouse efficiency calculator....it calls for volume in kettle, it calls for OG, it then calculates the brewhouse efficiency from these two numbers, it does not call for any other factor, if people do not agree that this is not the way to calculate brewhouse efficiency, then that is another subject. I repeat what I said...the original question by Birkdale Bob, was how to calculate Brewhouse efficiency using BREWMATE !!!

attachicon.gif
Galaxy 56 2.png
Do you input those volumes in the 'Actual Brewhouse Efficiency' section or is it done by the software when you populate the boil section? (or is the boil section a guide on what you should expect?)

Sure the OP was asking about BREWMATE but as you said, "brewhouse efficiency is brewhouse efficiency' so it's good to know and I believe relavent.

nala said:

attachicon.gif
Galaxy 56 2.png

Yes I know that and your screenshot is perfectly correct. Notice your "Wort volume after Boil" and "Actual Volume in Kettle" are the same, which they should be if you hit all your targets. (and assuming brewhouse efficiency includes losses)

Now go back and look and Crusty's screenshot. His "Wort Volume after Boil" is 27l yet he is using 23l as "Actual Volume in Kettle", which in reality is his "After Cooling (4% Loss)" value.

Parks said:
Do you input those volumes in the 'Actual Brewhouse Efficiency' section or is it done by the software when you populate the boil section? (or is the boil section a guide on what you should expect?)

Sure the OP was asking about BREWMATE but as you said, "brewhouse efficiency is brewhouse efficiency' so it's good to know and I believe relavent.
The "Actual Volume in Kettle" field in Brewhouse Efficiency defaults to the batch size set on the recipe screen and won't change unless you do it manually.

Batch Size in Brewmate I'm 99.9% sure is volume after trub and cooling losses, i.e. volume in fermenter.

Parks said:

You measure the actual volume in the kettle and input the actual OG.
My kettle is a Crown urn, I measure with a rule the volume of wort in the kettle from the rim to the wort level.
I take a refractometer reading of the wort, I input these figures into Brewhouse efficiency and get a reading.
I have brewed 67 brews now and have refined my system to achieve the volumes that I require, my aim has always been to be able to brew to a given recipe. I am confident that the default criteria of my system gives me the results that I want, I am not interested in producing wort which is of a higher gravity than I require,and not understanding how this happened.
We do have forum members who do not concern themselves with recipe details as long as the beer is drinkable, this is not my objective. Good brewing to them if that is what they want.

nala said:
I am not interested in producing wort which is of a higher gravity than I require,and not understanding how this happened
I couldn't agree more. Doing this is the only way to assure repeatability and be able to fix issues.

Why are people counting trub and cooling loss when calculating brewhouse efficiency? It's called a 'loss' for a reason. Count it if it's what you always do by all means. However if after a accurate gauge of the efficiency of your equipment than you need to discount the losses your setup causes in order to get your true 'Brewhouse Efficiency'.

jc64 said:
Why are people counting trub and cooling loss when calculating brewhouse efficiency? It's called a 'loss' for a reason. Count it if it's what you always do by all means. However if after a accurate gauge of the efficiency of your equipment than you need to discount the losses your setup causes in order to get your true 'Brewhouse Efficiency'.
Because Brewhouse Efficiency is in a nutshell amount of fermentables in to sg and vol of wort out. If you loose a lot of wort to trub and kettle geometry then you don't have a very efficient brewhouse.

browndog said:
Because Brewhouse Efficiency is in a nutshell amount of fermentables in to sg and vol of wort out. If you loose a lot of wort to trub and kettle geometry then you don't have a very efficient brewhouse.
Which is thus reflected in your Brewhouse efficiency, I agree.

nala said:

attachicon.gif
Galaxy 56 2.png

Thanks for trying to keep this on track. I read your later post but decided to quote this one. Like you, I use a 40L urn and measure as you do. My concern with using the actual kettle volume to measure efficiency is that if you , for instance, use 80% as your efficiency on the first page of Brew Mate, then you would have to be spot on with the absorption rate and evaporation percentage that you use as a basis for your recipe. I don't think that you can predict absorption rate, it depends on the grain that you are using and the temperatures you have mashed at, and how good your squeeze technique is, plus mashout. I know that some days I seem to get a better boil than on other days, so that is another factor. I am happy to use volume into cube rather than volume in kettle to calculate my efficiency.

Back