Infusion mashout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajmuzza

Reaction score
I'm trying desperately to improve my efficiency or at least narrow down the issue.

I BIAB in a 40L urn and have done mash outs before by pumping the mash with the heat on, but this ended with with no greater efficiency :( but a shedload of trub in the cube - presumably from my vigorous pumping (leave it, its not a Carry On movie). Anyway, not one to be defeated, I thought I would try an infusion (think that's the right terminology) mashout by adding water to bring the temp up.

Can someone refer me to a calculator to determine volumes and temperature for my strike and mashout volume temps and volume into kettle. Brewmate doesn't seem to have anything.

Cheers

Muz

This one works well.
Both are free Screenshot_2014-03-26-20-13-46.png

Screenshot_2014-03-26-20-13-26.png

Find them in your app shop.

If efficiency worries you so do a sparge in a 20 litre pot. Just have some 90 degree water ready put the bag in mix and pull it out. This doubles as a mash out as the temp is higher.

Recently i've gone to doing a mashout in this manner. I mash in about 23 litres and then add about 11 litres boiling water to get a mashout of about 75.... i say about as it varies slightly with grain bill and mash temp etc.

I added about 3% efficiency... Not too remarkable, but it has seemed to increase speed of run-off which is handy.

Turning the urn on and trying to ramp up eats the big one, takes ages, you risk spilling grain/breaking the bag, and it's hard work!

I use beer smith, but any of those apps mentioned above should work fine for calculating the infusion temps. Incidentally I did a 2 step the other day and hit all the targets.

For iphone, brewmath is pretty good for short one off calculations or brewpal for a full recipe software.

I'd do as suggested above and dunk the bag in hot water to rinse the grain.

What kind of efficiency are you hitting at the moment? I have just moved over to a three vessel. When I was doing BIAB I had an 80l pot for a 6gal (22.7L) brew I used 26.5L of mash water with my grain bill and had a 15L pot on the stove full and would heat that up to about 75ish. I would add it just before I pulled the bag out and gave it a good stir. I was hitting about 75%

Cheers
Matt

Latest posts

Back