Ebay Virgin's Questions - Security?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I regularly buy stuff online using my Visa Debit, but have never bought anything off Ebay.

I believe you have to give full details of a bank account to direct debit for a purchase, is that right? Currently my Visa Debit hangs off a second account that doesn't usually have much balance in case it gets hacked but I wonder if hackers could get to my main account through the side account if I also start using Ebay there.

I use a paypal account with a normal credit card mate. Not sure if it also works with Debit cards though?

I have not had any issues re security, etc. *touch wood*

+1

I use a paypal account with a normal credit card mate. Not sure if it also works with Debit cards though?

I only pay via PayPal to add an extra bit of security for what its worth. If someone wants ur details I'm sure they will find a way. The governments new idea of getting the internet providers to store more of our data is definetly not going to help overly.

Bribie, you get a few payment options in Paypal... I would definitely recommend using it for most purchases as there is a grievance process there... even if you buy something off someone on AHB I would recommend using Paypal.

Don't stress about someone hacking your accounts.... If someone does you will get your cash back from the bank... The banks are pretty good about that these days as their systems are pretty good to catch them first.... I have had a personal account hacked and a work credit card charged and both times I have got the money back pretty quickly.

With an account there is more rigmoral but with a credit card it is easy as... all you do is dispute the transaction and unless the person that put the chgarge through can show your signature the bank just refunds your money, no questions asked.

Don't fear the internet in a similar way that you don't fear the foam!

Camo

It does.
I have both a credit card and a debit card linked to my paypal account and switch between them as needed.

Credit Card via Paypal, then you have about 3 levels of 'security'.
First there its Ebay's 'buyer protection'.
Then you have the Paypal system where you can dispute transactions.
And then you have your Credit Card providers dispute system.

With all those systems the risk to you as a buyer is virtually non-existent, its the seller who has most of the risk now.

Credit Card via Paypal, then you have about 3 levels of 'security'.
First there its Ebay's 'buyer protection'.
Then you have the Paypal system where you can dispute transactions.
And then you have your Credit Card providers dispute system.

With all those systems the risk to you as a buyer is virtually non-existent, its the seller who has most of the risk now.
Precisely... i'm more than happy to buy stuff over ebay, knowing i have pretty much no-risk. However i will never again sell anything via eBay and Paypal. eBay and Paypal only give a shit about the buyer... very little recourse for the seller.

It does.
I have both a credit card and a debit card linked to my paypal account and switch between them as needed.

+1

And Wolfy's correct, Ive only sold a few small things on there but its the seller at risk.

I remember back a few years ago you didnt require a paypal account to sign up with ebay, there were dogy pricks everywhere. Now they have made that compulsory, Its gotten rid of a lot of them. Also a good thing to look into is buyer/seller feedback. I generally steer clear of anyone with anything short of 95% approval.

OT: Id love to know the profit paypal make these days.... I have ordered gear from the states and it seems EVERYONE uses paypal now!

I've had much more difficulty as a buyer than a seller (probably a 70/30 split between them) but as mentioned above - if any issues arise they won't be in relation to your bank account, Bribie. Especially if you can use the debit Visa through Paypal (which you should be able to do - that sort of transaction is pretty much exactly why those cards exist).

[EDIT: had the buyer/seller numbers around the wrong way]

Like they ^ all say Bribie, a visa card via Pay Pal. I only have a debit card, and that works fine. If you are really paranoid you could open another bank account, with it's own card, and set up a Pay Pal acc that uses that one, and just put enough $ in that to cover purchases. That way, even if it did get "hacked", there would be sweet FA funds in there to be stolen.

I regularly buy stuff online using my Visa Debit, but have never bought anything off Ebay.

I believe you have to give full details of a bank account to direct debit for a purchase, is that right? Currently my Visa Debit hangs off a second account that doesn't usually have much balance in case it gets hacked but I wonder if hackers could get to my main account through the side account if I also start using Ebay there.

:icon_offtopic:

Dammit Bribie, I thought it was thread from that chick from Morayfield.

Aren't "virgin'" and "Morayfield" mutually exclusive? :huh:

Odds of this being true are about the same as a lotto win but not as exciting (probably). :rolleyes: .
Caveat emptor.

I highly advise organising a paypal account for ebay purchases. Most ebay sellers will only use paypal, and it is much safer anyway. I have been using ebay for years, and have never had an issue, and scored myself a Three Floyds Dark Lord through paypal a few weeks back!

my ebay experience is that the risk isn't the $$ transaction, it's whether or not what you are buying is any good.

there are two classes of goods sold on ebay....

NEW ... I think you have little risk from these sellers, other than the risk that a really cheap gizmo .. probably isn't going to be quite as high quality as a more expensive like gizmo...

SECONDHAND ... this is the luck of the draw. an item for sale may kinda sorta work, but it's not 100%.... is the seller going to declare this?? some do... many don't.
for example, i purchased a second-hand fridge from ebay for a fermenting fridge. I spoke to the seller.. and asked him in detail whether or not the fridge was 100%. He assured me it was. When I turned up to pick up the fridge, he'd left it going so it was icey cold.

What I found is the fridge is noisy... and takes ages to get down to 1 degree...

so does it work?? well yes... but not quite to my expectations.

I purchased a regulator on ebay.

Although the secondary gauge has the range of pressures I was after, the regulator itself doesn't go up to a high enough pressure.

A keg disconnect I purchase on ebay with other gear, was split and worthless.

=============================
The simple lesson is buyer beware.
Don't pay more than 60-70% of what you would pay for something new.. 'cause you don't have the come back that you do buying from a retail outlet.

In saying that i've also bought some great gear from ebay .. and bargin prices.

I just won a short shank beer tap , brand new , on eBay for $4.25...delivery was twice that ..so make of it what you will but I can't fault it lol :lol:

I just won a short shank beer tap , brand new , on eBay for $4.25...delivery was twice that ..so make of it what you will but I can't fault it lol :lol:

Yeah, thats one thing to watch for. Different sellers have the same item but at different prices....the cunning sellers start the item off low, but then put $20 on the delivery, even though it may only cost $10 to ship. Thats how they make the money up.

Saying that, I've bought some good stuff off Ebay...I've recently bought a $700 camera lens, STC1000, and a 35L SS pot. No issues at all.

I had a seller selling a pretty expensive pure gas reg cancel my bid and the auction and keep the item with 0 warning or notice. The auction was rock bottom like 10 bucks and he claimed when I mailed him that worth was 750. You have to allow for idiots like that who don't list their items properly and then panic later. Much more likely to give you grief.

Back