Ebay Items

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wiper motor , great idea Justin , I use one as a stirrer in my HLT

They have mobs of grunt , will be trying this in the near future

Batz

MCWB, that might be a good option. These are just the silver boxes out of a PC yes? What sort of wattage one would I be after. I guess i could do the calc's and work it out but if you knew which wattage one I'd be after to get 8A that would be great. The seem to range in power quite a bit. I might try the tip shop. Any further tips on wiring them up?

Yeah Batz, they have a crap load of grunt, it's my power source thats failing certainly not the motor. It will crush on the fast and slow speed but draws less current on the slower speed. The crush is supurb as the speed is only about 60-80rpm and it's the best crush I've seen out of my mill since hand cranking it. Sure it takes a little while but last time I just loaded the hopper up and set it going while I was setting everything else up and it just kept churning away.

Cheers, thanks

JD

Justin, you want one of the older style AT power supplies (the new ones are called ATX). Some info here on what to look for in terms of connectors, AT PSUs have two 6-pin connectors; ATX has one 18-pin connector. Also, AT PSUs have a simple power switch that can turn the PSU on and off with, whereas you need to short two pins on an ATX PSU to get it to start (note that the AT switch carries live 240 V!). The yellow wires are +12 V, the red wires are +5 V, and the black wires are ground (0 V) (more info here).

They'll usually have a sticker on them telling you what current each rail can cope with, obviously you want one with the most on the +12 V rail (8 A should be good). Should be about 250 W, but when in doubt, check the sticker.

If you were in Sydney I'd give you one, I've got a few lying around here!

Thanks. Thats exactly the info I was after. I'll see what I can did up, sounds promising.

Cheers, JD

My power supply is a big dude , it runs 8 amps
Works a treat

I'm a bit of a computer techie, so I can help with the power supply issue.

An ATX power supply is just as easy as an AT one.
All you need to do is short the green wire to any of the black wires (green wire = enables the power supply to turn on, black = ground). Just use a little piece of wire, or even a paperclip. I'm talking about the large 16-pin connector block here

Then to drive the motor you just need to connect one of the yellow wires (+12 volts), and one of the black wires (ground). I'm talking about the small D-shaped 4 pin connectors here.

On the label most power supplies will tell you the current it can supply for each voltage. eg. the 350W power supply in my machine will deliver 12 Amps on the +12 volt line.

Using the simple Watts = Volts times Amps, we get 12volts x 12amps, so a total of 144 watts. This is more than enough to drive any small motor. Most wiper motors seem to be 40-50 watts, so even a puny 200 or 250 watt ATX power supply should easily be able to drive them.

Sorry if I've confused anybody. Feel free to track me down if you want any help :)

does the wiper motor have the guts to run the mill?

edit : sorry i see that the wiper motor does have the grunt, and hence i would love to try it having a power supply on the floor for brew use..... thanks for the idea, as i was worried about the speed of the drill (that gets so hot it hurts)
double edit : must have been pissed as i make next to no sense. :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

Hi Gout

I have a 24Volt wiper motor on my Valley Mill and it runs it fine as it is geared down fairly well. It is slow, but does a good job.

Cheers
Pedro

I will get to the car yards to hunt down a newish car wiper motor then (although 12 V)

i am sure if you up the voltage you increase power output as we used to do with the old wipermotors
but dont do it on my word as push to hard and you burn out windings hehe

24V would be good as less current required

If you want to use a 24 volt motor, you can still use a computer power supply. Just connect the +12 rail, and the -12V volt rail, giving a total of 24 volts.

Be warned, the -12 volt rail isnt used for too much, so they arent designed with too much current capacity. eg. mine is only rated to 1 Amp, so on second thoughts maybe this isnt the best idea.

Just stick with a 12 volt motor if you want to go this way.

Interesting Bass bar handles

DON'T MISS OUT AS THIS IS MY PERSONAL COLLECTION OF SEVERAL HUNDRED SINCE 1978 AND SOME WERE OLD THEN. WE REALLY HAVE NOWHERE FOR THEM WHEN WE MOVE AND TO REMAIN IN BOXES OUT OF SIGHT ISN'T RIGHT DESPITE MY HAWKER PERSONALITY, YOU KNOW THEY NEED TO BE DISPLAYED AND ADMIRED RATHER THAN IN BOXES.

We have maybe several months of handles to be auctioned, keep us in mind if this is your interest.

handles

I have no interest in the above, just giving a heads to those who might be. I'm bidding on a chest freezer ;)

Here is a freezer in melbourne...

Westinghouse 300 litre chest freezer in good working order. It has a basket and a full stainless steel interior. It would be over 10 years old but is in good condition although it does not some exterior marks.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...3852531992&rd=1

Pressure cooker, 6 litres, $69 from Aldi. If you have ever wanted to get into yeast culturing, a pressure cooker is essential to allow you to sterilise gear.

Is not from ebay, but thought others might be interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back