• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killer Brew said:
My heart says buy one but my mind is asking why I need it. Help me out here?
need and want don't have to meet in the middle but if you need an excuse then you can't accurately hit temps without it [emoji23][emoji106]
Edit: you could tell SWMBO that it's for the kitchen then borrow it!

Because he has one.

Good to have a calibrated thermo to check against. That's all I've come up with. Not good enough for my mind yet, but getting close.

I got one a month ago when they had a few more of the "misprinted colours".

To me it's essential and allows me to check what my grainfather is telling me and to check when I'm cooling for the fermenter.

nosco said:
Accurate temp readings in under 5 seconds.
Of what though? I get accurate reads on mash from the Grainfather. Am not going to be dipping it into the fermenter.

If you need to measure temp with a thermometer, then this thermapen is a hands down winner. As soon as you can afford it, definitely worth getting one.
I guess if you have no need for an individual thermometer then you don't need it. But then again, that's kinda obvious [emoji185][emoji1]

:icon_offtopic: mine are not a fancy unit's but least i can check it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpJULQICiGM

Cheers for the heads up, 50 bucks is ridiculously cheap for a thermapen. I already had a thermopop from the same company, it's quick enough but it's always annoyed me that it doesn't read decimal places for celsius, so I had to pick one up at that price.

I recently got one of the Digistem thermometers from ibrew. These also come with a cal certificate, have a fast response tip and are available off the shelf for $35.00 ea.

Has anybody changed to a thermopen from one of these and can swear there's a significant improvement?

If the digistem can get a stable reading from cold in 3 seconds or less then there's likely no improvement.

Interesting video of how the Thermapen is made and calibrated in the factory in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvP0GXD3fcI

+1 thermapen. Bought one of these about 2 yrs ago still going strong. Has moustaches printed on the outside. Maybe for hipsters? I use it for cooking as well so passes the swmbo test.

DU99 said:
:icon_offtopic: mine are not a fancy unit's but least i can check it....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpJULQICiGM

I have 2 x Mash Master temp gauges and used this method to calibrate... Big mistake.

When it was calibrated to boiling water it was way off at zero and vice versa when calibrated at zero, way off at boiling.

Then when reading at mash temps both were up to 10c out.

I've since calibrated them both to 70c with a mercury in glass thermometer and only use them as a guide.

Latest posts

Back