Easter 2005 Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Peter,
Asher was being pretty deep there, as far as i know he meant he was destroying a religous image!

Jayse

Good Day
A smoked rye porter and APA I think.

Peter Shane said:
Hey Asher. My daughtr pissed off with me dictionary. What does "Iconoclastic" mean?

:chug:
[post="49387"][/post]​

An "Iconoclast" Is a destroyer of reglious art and images in ancient times. Suppose in a strange sort of way you could have called them the world's first art critics. :p

In modern times it's more or less somebody who attacks traditional ideas and institutions. Can also be deemed unpleasant company.

In other words Asher intends to brew an Australian Ale that's thinking a little outside the square. :super:

Warren -

DOC.
I was looking for a good Oktoberfest to do and i think u have given me my next recipe. Just one question though. Whats the dif between Caramel Malt Pils & JWM Caramalt ? Could i just combine the amounts and use a local Crystal?

STEPHEN

SJW said:
DOC.
I was looking for a good Oktoberfest to do and i think u have given me my next recipe. Just one question though. Whats the dif between Caramel Malt Pils & JWM Caramalt ? Could i just combine the amounts and use a local Crystal?

STEPHEN
[post="49417"][/post]​

Stephen,

Caramel Malt Pils and Caramalt are quite different. Caramel Malt Pils is CaraPils or CaraFoam which is a very lightly roasted Pils malt (~3EBC)
CaraMalt is much more of a crystal malt and the JWM CaraMalt is around 56 EBC.
You could combine them, but it wouldn't be the same beer.

HTH,
Doc

me ,a few k&k cleansing ales as i try to finish putting my ag set up together.way behind shedule but am getting there

Ummm, not sure. Possibly will try and reproduce the mild I did last year that picked up a 3rd at VicBrew. On the other hand, I may well not get around to anything at all until the school holidays a week later.

I'm putting this on either tomorrow or Sunday. May have to up the extract a bit but i will see how it goes.
Nearly ready for AG but till then, this is it.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: My English Ale
Brewer: Johnno
Asst Brewer: The 3 rugrats
Style: Some sort of English beer
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 16.65 L
Estimated OG: 1.043 SG
Estimated Color: 11.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 kg Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 30.8 %
2.00 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 61.5 %
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 6.2 %
0.05 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.5 %
28.30 gm Challenger [7.50%] (60 min) Hops 23.9 IBU
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 6.1 IBU
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (15 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
14.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 2.25 kg

cheers

johnno

Got my APA down on good friday with a cautious eye on the weather, with the new larger size rig I can't fit on the balcony anymore and had to move into the grden next to the barbie...boy the wind was fierce but not enough to douse the flames of the mega burner.
The single biggest improvement over past efforts was the use of a counterflow chiller. Wort exited the chiller at about 23-24C straight into the fermenter via the tap. Yeast was super fresh and took off quicker than usual.
Next most important improvement was the 50 litre brewpot. Finally I got to make a full 23l of wort. $400 later.......
All I need now is a decent HLT and an aquarium pump!
but if I spend another cent on brewing gear this side of Xmas the missus will kill me.

Back