Earle's Coffin Keezer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earle

Choc wheat fiend
Reaction score
Inspired quite a while ago but also got some ideas from Kneebone's build. Finally finished the cabinetry today, still a little tidying to do. Will post some more pics when I have time.

med_gallery_7015_1330_93058.jpg

A bit of detail of the coffin. Separate section for the electrical. Two blocks of insulation fill some deadspace and make a race for the cold air which is drawn up with the computer fan and then returns through the same hole as the beer lines. Another larger piece of insulation covers the back which is then sealed with ply.

med_gallery_7015_1330_779787.jpg

med_gallery_7015_1330_285693.jpg

Well done, that looks bloody awesome. I'very just got into kegging and have made one out of a older tucker box chest freezer. I was just wonder what you used to insulate your coffin. My freezer is set to 3 degrees and cycles about ever 1,1/2 to 2 hours, I'm not sure if this is normal but I think coffin needs better insulation

jer88 said:
Well done, that looks bloody awesome. I'very just got into kegging and have made one out of a older tucker box chest freezer. I was just wonder what you used to insulate your coffin. My freezer is set to 3 degrees and cycles about ever 1,1/2 to 2 hours, I'm not sure if this is normal but I think coffin needs better insulation
Thanks, The insulation is 3 different types depending on what would fit in where. Perhaps if I built another coffin I would make it bigger inside to fit the thickest insulation on all sides but hopefully that will be a long way down the track as this one has been a lot of work. Some of it is the foil backed rubber type insulation from clark rubber, left over from what I use to lag my urn. The other is insulation board from Bunnings, I used some of both thicknesses available which I think is 30mm and 50mm. I also wonder about losing coldness through the coffin. If i'm not going to be using it for a few days I turn off the STC which controls the coffin fan, figure there's no point in pumping cold air up there for nothing. I also figure the thing in the coffin which is most conductive to cool and therefore best at losing it to the outside is the shanks and taps, there's not much you can do to prevent cold loss through them.

A couple more.

The whole thing is on castors so It has a removable skirting board for when its time to move.

med_gallery_7015_1330_822369.jpg

Behind the vent in each door is a 120mm high capacity quiet computer fan to help ventilate the cabinet. The fans are hooked into the same STC as the freezer so only come on when cooling.

med_gallery_7015_1330_706583.jpg

Thanks, it's bigger than it looks in the photos. The top of the lid is just perfect height for leaning on and you're basically reaching up to the taps.

Its a F&P 276L. F&P make a 276l as well as a 275l slimline. They're both the same height, the slimline is obviously wider as it is slimmer from front to back. Out of interest they also make a 216L as well as the 215l slimline which is used by many on this forum. I chose the non-slimline 276L so that it would fit in that spot.

It will actually fit 7 kegs with a collar and if you put your gas bottle outside.

Not sure who Stu is though.

med_gallery_7015_1330_23195.jpg

Back