E.s.b 3kg Kits

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reformed99

Reaction score
Without knowing what's actually in a E.S.B 3kg kit, does anyone know what the FG should be? Mine is at 1013 after 10 days, does this sound about right?

Never done one of those kits and don't know what's in them so I can't really help you, but I think for someone to answer your question they'll need to know which ESB kit and Volume, what yeast did you use, and possibly your OG :icon_cheers:

The APA I did ended up at 1012, and the kit said to expect 1010-1012. It specifically said the numbers will be different for a stout or a bock.

Was the australian draught. Looks like1013 is pretty much all I'm going to get

Hi, I've set-down the following ESB kits... all taste great and had no issues

Australian Draught 1044 to 1010 - 7 days
Belgian Smoked Ale 1048 to 1014 - 10 days
Premium Extra Dry Low-Card 1040 to 1010 - 7 days, and
Extra Special Stout with additional steeped grains 1040 to 1012 - 7 days

If you've had two days at the same reading then you are set to bottle, I've found the ESB kits to take a tad longer than other kits to brew.

If you are unsure about your reading then you my want to calibrate your hydrometer, I have found .4 to 1.4 difference with mine.

I've also found the ESB kits not that good for an early drink i.e. at 21-30 days after bottling, they are much better at the 7-8 week mark.

Cheers
Carboy

I did a ESB 3kg Baverian Wheat and it got down to 1.006 from 1.048 despite the amount of chucky bits in the can. Took a while though, my 3rd stable day was day 17.

I just bottled the ESB aus draught 3kg
After 7 days it was at 1.012 let it go 12 days down to 1.007
I have never tested my hydrometer, but they where the readings.

I did a ESB 3kg Baverian Wheat and it got down to 1.006 from 1.048 despite the amount of chucky bits in the can. Took a while though, my 3rd stable day was day 17.

I did one of these a while ago and my records say the FG was 1008.
It was a really nice drop too
I was amazed at the amount of hops floating on the top of the wort in the fermenter. Looked like a duck pond

I think ESB make the nicest can of goop i've had IMHO.
I've done 2 bavarian wheats and 2 hoegaardens and a golden ale
Ohh and 1 infected smokey belgian :(
the golden ale finished at about 1005, the bavarian wheats were about 1010 (i thought they would go lower)
The nice thing about the ESB kits is there is no chemistry, just toss the can water and yeast and walk away.
The chunky bits are of course hops.

The Golden ale is not carbed yet and i wont sample it until this weekend

Carboy i'm interested in the smokey belgian as mine stuffed up, how was the taste?

I think ESB make the nicest can of goop i've had IMHO.
I've done 2 bavarian wheats and 2 hoegaardens and a golden ale
Ohh and 1 infected smokey belgian :(
the golden ale finished at about 1005, the bavarian wheats were about 1010 (i thought they would go lower)
The nice thing about the ESB kits is there is no chemistry, just toss the can water and yeast and walk away.
The chunky bits are of course hops.

The Golden ale is not carbed yet and i wont sample it until this weekend

Carboy i'm interested in the smokey belgian as mine stuffed up, how was the taste?

Hi Flattop

I thought my Belgian Smoked Ale had stuffed up too. Out of the can it smelt great, when I bottled, it had a sarsaparilla smell which sort of put me off, but I bottled anyway.

My early drink date was 16 Feb 2009 (28 days after bottling) I tasted two and was not overly happy, but now 8 weeks later its very nice, in fact I had a bottle last night and I'm drinking one right now and I'm very happy.

Additional notes for your info... head retention is not flash, colour is magic, drinks great as a real cold beer (colder than just chilled), but if it gets a tad warm in the glass it doesn't taste as good... more time in the bottle may improve these issues.

My set-down temp was 22 degrees, the lowest temp was 18 degrees, bottled at 21 degrees, as mentioned earlier this batch took 10 days to ferment.

I'm finishing my three tap kegerator project this weekend and an ESB Belgian Smoked Ale will most defiantly be going into a keg, I think it will be an awesome winter beer.

Event at tis early stage its a great beer to have with any dark meat meal, but not a beer you would drink over and over again.

Cheers
Carboy

Thanks everyone. Took another reading last night and hadn't moved, still 1013. The sample was 16C and the hydrometer is calibrated for 20C so with the correction its close enough to the 1012 I was after. Added gealtine last night and will bottle on Sunday after crash chilling.

Back