Dunkel Hefe-weizen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCraggen

Reaction score
Is it actually possible to brew a dark hefe with kits/extracts? Im not sure how i would go about it, any ideas/suggestions?

Is it actually possible to brew a dark hefe with kits/extracts? Im not sure how i would go about it, any ideas/suggestions?
Sure it is!
Do you want to use grain or go all extract?
This is one of my favorite types of extract brews.

With kits only it might be a bit hard

now if you are willing to steep some grains and add it to a wheat kit i could see that working.

Now what grains and how much... i am not so sure, I am not an expert on recipe formulation.

But as a starting point here is the grain list for Jamils Dunkel

5.5 gals
1.70 lbs. Pilsener Germany
5.85 lbs. Wheat Malt America
2.55 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America
0.35 lbs. Special B Malt Belgian
0.35 lbs. Crystal 40L America
0.125 lbs. Carafa Special Germany

the ones in bold might be somewhere to look to for steeping / boiling and then adding to a kit wheat beer.

just a thought

So just to clarify, the "dark" part of the wheat beer is from dark barley maly?

Oh and btw beef, i tried the first beer from my hefe recipe (with the weetbix and flour) and it was great! even had a german bloke try it and he said it was spot on for the style so thumbs up.

p.s. it helps to tip the bottle a bit before chilling it to get the yeast/flour in suspension.

So just to clarify, the "dark" part of the wheat beer is from dark barley maly?

Or dark wheat.

I have made dunkels before using 150gms of Roasted Wheat & 800gms of light munich , added to the normal grain bill of a Hefe. (pilsner malt & wheat malt)

I am sure someone here has a much better recipe than me though.

im not sure whether or not i could get roasted wheat, i dont have the equipment for AG but i guess i could do some sort of partial perhaps?

Oh and btw beef, i tried the first beer from my hefe recipe (with the weetbix and flour) and it was great! even had a german bloke try it and he said it was spot on for the style so thumbs up.

p.s. it helps to tip the bottle a bit before chilling it to get the yeast/flour in suspension.
HA!
Well, I'd like to take the credit for that trick, but it did come to me from my 'Fairy God Brewmaster', a commercial brewer who is my lifeline.
I did a full extract and wheatbix one on the last weekend, and am just waiting for ferment space.
Glad you liked it.

If you want to do the dark one, get yourself some regular dry dark extract, use the same recipe, and throw in about 250g of dark extract as well.

There's a kits and bits recipe for a Dunkelweizen on the Morgans brewing website as follows:

Dunkelweizen
A darker version of Weizenbier. A chocolate maltiness with banana overtones that characterizes wheat beers.

Beer Category: TRADITIONAL
OG: 1046 FG: 1012

Ingredients:
1.7kg Morgan's Golden Sheaf Wheat kit
2kg Morgan's Chocolate Malt Master Blend
10g Saaz hops - hops1
10g Saaz hops - hops 2
10g Hallertau hops - hops 3
1 Sachet Morgan's ale yeast
Sugar for bottling

Method:
Add around 500g of wheat kit to 4 litres of boiling water. Boil with hops 1 for 45 mimutes. Add hops 2 and simmer for 15 mins. Switch off heat, add hops 3 and steep for 2 mins.Add remaining wheat kit and Master Blends, stir to fully dissolve.

Strain off and pour into fermenter and make up to 23 litres with cold water.

I followed this recipe, but used 1kg amber LME, 250g Dark Spray Malt and 250g Maltodextrin instead of the 2kg Chocolate Malt Master Blend, steeped 250gm crystal malt and used US-05 yeast. I really liked it and was drinking nicely after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Slainte

Hmm im thinking of doing a steep of caramel wheat malt and using some pale wheat and barley malt.

Similar to my hefe pale recipe afformentioned but with the dark wheat malt taking a big chunk of the fermentables.

i was thinking along the lines:

1.5kg dark wheat malt (steeped)
500g light wheat malt
500g light barley malt
(german noble hop) 25g for 60min
(1 row) weetbix (steeped)
1tbls (roughly) white flour (steeped)
wyeast 3068
volume 23L

HA!
Well, I'd like to take the credit for that trick, but it did come to me from my 'Fairy God Brewmaster', a commercial brewer who is my lifeline.
I did a full extract and wheatbix one on the last weekend, and am just waiting for ferment space.
Glad you liked it.

If you want to do the dark one, get yourself some regular dry dark extract, use the same recipe, and throw in about 250g of dark extract as well.

Hi beef,

newbie on forum and to homebrew. weihenstaphaner hefe weisse beir dunkel is my favourite beer and i would love to do a version of it. could i get the recipe off you or could you direct me to where it is? I have only made beer using the tin extract and adding malt, water hops and yeast havent done any mashing before. Have just bottled pale ale, used an out of date tin extract so is a not so pale pale ale, malassas like flavour and accidentally (using a heating pad) let the brew go to 29/30 celcius so steamed it a little, have a nasty milk stout in the fermenter (got a bit excited with the ingredient) and had an OG of 1.086 so might have wrecked the flavour of this one. Every mistake is a lesson learned. look forward to your reply as other recipe have been all grain and dont understand how that works at this stage.

booka

Back