Duck 'prosciutto'

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stakka82 said:
You'll need fresh air, and some circulation.

This thread is a revelation, how did I miss this last year? Duck prosciutto just bumped a czech pils on my to do list, and that's saying something.
I know! I was googling charcuterie and found a number of recipes for this. Jumped on here and searched for charcuterie to see if I could find a relevant thread and this popped up. I'm going to have a crack at it soon - where are you going to hang yours?

I haven't done any since moving to the new place but used to just hang my pancetta and duck proscuito from some washing line outside, undercover during winter, wrapped in muslin. Occasionally I hung things near the kitchen window but the house had no heating.

I will probably set something up in my garage this year as outside has no other undercover and inside is heated.

I use a curing fridge dedicated to charcuterie, but I used to just hang them in the garage and just do all my charcuterie during the coldest part of winter. When overnight temps dropped to 1C here in Perth, it was perfect timing. Unfortunately it meant that I could only do it once a year...

Sweet, I think I'll just use my garage, might wait till mid winter so the temperatures don't get quite so high. Anyone who has made this, what does it go well with? I'm thinking pear & maybe a mild goat's cheese?

Anyone successfully made haggis? I'd kill for some haggis. (regular appearance on the dinner table with mashed spud and 'neeps when I was a kid in Newcastle Upon Tyne).

Ahh haggis...

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!
Aboon them a' yet tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy o'a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin was help to mend a mill
In time o'need,
While thro' your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

Don't mind it myself but the rest of the family can't stand it.

Bribie G said:
Anyone successfully made haggis? I'd kill for some haggis. (regular appearance on the dinner table with mashed spud and 'neeps when I was a kid in Newcastle Upon Tyne).
its OT but ill get my old mans recipe. It won awards as well as his tripe. His restaurant end up being the home ground of the WA tripe club.

Hmmm duck procuttto. Going to have to try this.

citymorgue2 said:
its OT but ill get my old mans recipe. It won awards as well as his tripe. His restaurant end up being the home ground of the WA tripe club.

Hmmm duck procuttto. Going to have to try this.
That would be brilliant CM

It's taken me over a year, but I bought a couple of awesome looking duck breasts this AM & I'll cure them this afternoon. Pics to come.

I weighed my duck prosciutto last night and despite feeling softish and moist, it had lost more than 30% of it's weight, so I tried some and it's delicious!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1403816142.296120.jpg

Latest posts

Back