Dual Font Rebuild/Cleanup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien13

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The FIL got given the following setup the other day and was hoping to get it cleaned up and running again.

Has anyone seen or used one of these types of font setups, and if so, how do I go about replacing the lines and getting everything cleaned up (in dire need of a good scrubbing)?

Font, taps, "decals"
HUbhqXZl.jpg

Tap
PhuZ0KTl.jpg

Font>Tap
GK0p7Jhl.jpg

Inside of tap connection on font
q9E3aQCl.jpg

From what it looks like, the lines must join up to each tap, just below the square "head" as the lines don't go through to the tap itself. That may be because the lines have been pulled out, but it looks like it's just sealed in and the pressure feeds from the lines, to the "head" and then out to the tap.

If anyone can help out, that would be great!

Cheers,
Nathan

Fine steel wool should bring the surface up pretty well, there is also a very good chance that the big square hunk of brass that makes up the top will unscrew from the riser pipe, they can be very well gunked up, a bit of heat might help (try a hot air paint stripper).
If you can get it apart it will make it a lot easer to see what you need to do.
The taps are rippers, Andale Flowrites are one of the best on the market.

Mark

Will grab some steel wool and give it a bit of a rub down to get it looking nice again.

I was thinking the top may have been screwed on to the pipe, but couldn't get it to budge. At the moment I'm limited to using boiling water and the freezer. So far, neither methods have worked. If it does come undone, which I'm guessing it would have to for maintenance, it's stuck on good. Really good.

Might have to try different methods of heating, such as the one you mentioned. If I can get it off it will be much easier to work out what's going on. Looking down the bottom thread there looks to be a connection on the ends of the tubing which must connected it to the head.

Just looked up the taps now, look easy enough to take apart and clean up. Glad to hear they are a good tap, saves him having to buy extras.

Thanks for the help so far, looks like I'm stuck for now.

Update:

I managed to get it off. Holy hell that took some effort. Used the monkey wrench to provide some grip and after a lot of struggling and cursing and what feels like a palm full of blisters, it found its way off.

Here's what we are left with.

klFivL5.jpg

Doesn't look too complicated from here, but definitely needs a good cleaning and new tubes. What would be good to soak the font/taps in now that I have everything apart. Obviously before use a good soak in starsan to sanitise, but before that, I want to make sure it's free of any gunk or build up.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back