Dry Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear everything it went according to plan.

Your comments are noted and more than useful as usual. The idea behind the basic recipe I was going to use was in part for the knowledge, however, based on what you've said it's given me a bit more scope to tinker.

For example, I'll add a 15 min hop addition using all Challenger. This combined with irish git should work nicely. I'll stick to 15% Flaked Barley for more body but won't go overboard with the Roast Barley. I'm after a hint of coffee and 10% RB and a possible addition of espresso may be something to think about. Brew day will be a week or so away so there's plenty of time to mull things over.

The oatmeal stout's a great style and is definitely one for down the track but for now I'll stick to a variant of the basic dry stout.

If your gonna Randallise your stout things could well get out of hand! I'll be looking forward to the "Randall Everything Jayse Has On Tap Brew Day" in June. B)

C&B
Steve

Well...just to throw another loop in the pile.....I also have done a basic of basic Oatmeal stout. I gelled the recipe from Palmers HTB in the designing beers section and just added oatmeal to it (see recipe section). Using the trusty Irish ale yeast and fermenting it at 20oC. Also used some(not all) POR for bittering..just for a twist. Tasted sssmmmmooooth going into the bottle.

Follow up time as the beer is almost half gone.
First thing to note since i made this recipe is i have seen TF flaked barley now and although i haven't used it i will from now on. it actually looks like flaked barley with the husks and all not like the breakfast stuff.

Anyway i will use 20% next time and that may be the only thing i change for this type of stout.
The hops come through nicely and i think that is important in this stout.
Unlike my first thoughts when making this beer, this is not at all mouth puckering or harsh but a damn fine very drinkable beer.
It is not jet black and up to the light it is as clear as a bell with a wicked red hue.

the head is just slighty off white and not dark like some stouts.

Anyway that is the basics of it untill next time
Jayse

My thoughts with flaked barley is that it doesn't give body and isn't meant too. After all, if making a DRY stout why have more body? I reckon the flaked B is for head retention and is maybe cheaper than malted barley.
Any thoughts?

yes agreed.
this is a dry stout not a grain of any malt that is meant to add any extra body just the base of ale malt.
As is this is a dry stout and thats why i used london ale to dry it out to the max..certainly don't want to much body in this beer.
flaked barley is not for body and that is a good point TDH makes as some here might think it does to that.

Go the dry stout.

Jayse

Latest posts

Back