Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hey lads, when dry hopping, is it okay to open the fermenter lid momentarily and when using hop pellets is it okay to just throw them in loose?

Sorry for another silly question!

Rob

Not a massive dry hopper but the few times I've done it, that's exactly how.

The only problem I encountered was when using fresh flowers and getting a bit of tap blockage (was also using a sediment reducer which I've since got rid of).

You can also use a hop sock or stocking - just soak it in boiling water or no rinse sanitiser first.
Potentially you could also place the hops/hop sock in a second fermenter and rack onto it.

So many choices.

Opening your fermenter is no problem just keep an eye out for any nasties on the outside and clean them and spray with sanitizer.

Until the 20th century fermentation was carried out in large open vats - even in lager breweries such as at Urquell in Plzen (Pilsen). Once fermentation is underway there is a tendency nowadays to get a bit anal about opening the fermenter, but if it's only for a few seconds then no problems unless you are coughing into it or something.

Haha love posting this one:

Stone_square.JPG

Latest posts

Back