Dry Hopping Straight To Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok well i bought a pair of SKIN coloured stocking, well Knee high's to be precise lol

The missus was cheering as they only came in 2 packs, so she gets a free pair :S

gonna do the ol hop in a foot routine, the wort tastes damm good as it is (about 1010 atm) so another quick burst of cascade should be just the trick

Cheers guys, i really need to work out how/where to put my keg fridge, but the new house is only fairly small..... So i guess ill have to wait till i build the verandah!

Cheers though, ill let you know how it goes

I heard about it from BBR I think, and I had just started no chilling with BIAB, so I was fearful of increased bitterness and losing the aroma of flame out hopping. So I gave it a crack on a Smurto Golden Ale and the hit of amarillo was incredible, and seems to last the whole of the keg as long as you don't vent the keg (which I do from time to time if I am bottling from the keg as I lower the pressure to let it pour slowly without foaming in the bottles - no CP filler here).

I have read that 5 minutes in the plunger is about the most effective for aroma, there is a graph of utilisation of hops floating around here somewhere, but overall I have been converted to using my flam out hops and dry hops in a coffee plunger (or french press) for a great hit.

cheers,

Crundle

Hey Crundle, You were the brewer I was searching for awhile back.... see this link. Mate when you add your hop tea directly to the keg, how much hops do you use and how hot is the hop tea water??
Cheers

linky

You can get smaller ones from kitchen shops such as Robin's Kitchen in QLD. As 4* says, only use flowers or a plug. Maybe some NZ Cascade flowers? I used a Styrian Goldings plug in a keg of TTL and it worked a treat.
Otherwise hop tea.

Any sanitation problems with adding hops in the tea ball straight to the keg. I can understand making a tea with hops and adding that would sanitise somewhat.
Thanks

btw, im dry hopping with chinook, deeeeerrrrrrrrrrr lol

and they are pellets, if i dont hear any other ideas by tomorrow about 11am, im gonna go the sock from a stocking routine :)

Cheers again

Hey Crundle, You were the brewer I was searching for awhile back.... see this link. Mate when you add your hop tea directly to the keg, how much hops do you use and how hot is the hop tea water??
Cheers

Hi Jimi,

I guess it depends on the hops you are using and the type of beer, but a good yardstick is to use somewhere around 1g/litre in the keg, so I normally would use around 20g of hop pellets in the coffee plunger with about 300ml of boiled water. I just add the water to the plunger when it has just boiled, and let it sit for 5 minutes to extract the aroma, plunge it to squeeze out the goodness, then open the keg (about 5-6 degrees in my kegerator) and pour in the hop tea. It will cool rapidly to lock in the aroma, and then put the lid back on the keg, purge the keg to remove any air you just let in, and you are good to go straight away.

For Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, I add the 0 minute addtion hops using the coffee plunger and throw in 20g, but for an IPA I would up that to perhaps 50g (in my upcoming all Pride of Ringwood IPA).

Hop pellets work better in the plunger, whereas flowers seem to expand (A LOT!) so it is harder to get more than 20g of flowers into the plunger and to get them to expand and squeeze them out properly.

Hope this helps, give me a yell if you need anything more!

Crundle

Hi Jimi,

I guess it depends on the hops you are using and the type of beer, but a good yardstick is to use somewhere around 1g/litre in the keg, so I normally would use around 20g of hop pellets in the coffee plunger with about 300ml of boiled water. I just add the water to the plunger when it has just boiled, and let it sit for 5 minutes to extract the aroma, plunge it to squeeze out the goodness, then open the keg (about 5-6 degrees in my kegerator) and pour in the hop tea. It will cool rapidly to lock in the aroma, and then put the lid back on the keg, purge the keg to remove any air you just let in, and you are good to go straight away.

For Dr Smurto's Golden Ale, I add the 0 minute addtion hops using the coffee plunger and throw in 20g, but for an IPA I would up that to perhaps 50g (in my upcoming all Pride of Ringwood IPA).

Hop pellets work better in the plunger, whereas flowers seem to expand (A LOT!) so it is harder to get more than 20g of flowers into the plunger and to get them to expand and squeeze them out properly.

Hope this helps, give me a yell if you need anything more!

Crundle

Cheers Crundle, I'll be giving this method a whirl with my next hop driven brew. Much Appreciated

Back