Dry Hopping Straight To Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ok, I have tried searching through the forums with little luck...

Ive made Boonies LCPA clone, and i need to dry hop cascade, HOWEVER here is my dilemma!

I brew at home, in the laundry tub, My keg fridge is at a seperate location (sisters house - where we drink)....

Normally, i brew, transfer to keg, bung it in the car, drive to the fridge, purge, chill for 24 hours, gas, you know the rest

But now i need to dry hop the 10 or 15g of cascade (its measured at home atm).... How should i do this considering i dont CC....

if i made a hop tea of 250ml of boiling water, let sit for 15 mins, then STRAINED the shit out of it, straight into the keg half way through the transfer? Im just wondering what to use to filter it enough so i dont get hop bits coming through my tap.....

Shit, this thing is ready to keg today too..... Damm my unorganisedness

your help would be most appreciated

Were I in your situation I would think of two options - both involve the word tea...

1) tea ball
2) hop tea

You could buy a tea ball, put the hops in it and tie it to the keg pick up tube...or you could boil some water and make a hop tea, strain the hops out using many methods (I use a french press) and add that to the keg once transfered.

Cheers
Phil

Edit: here are some methods of straining the hops from the tea.

1) coffee filter
2) chux
3) paper towl
4) pillow case
5) sieve (one of the ones you use for flour)

Only use a teaball if its full cone/plug hops. Pellet matter will get through unless its an uber fine mesh and end up in your glass.

I'd go the hop tea route and plunge and strain to the keg if its pellets.

Ive added pellet hops before straight to the keg using a hop bag tying it up and weighing it down with some spare SS parts lying around.

I just gave the bag a wash in some starsan solution before use.

It works no problems, not bits of hop in my glass.

Kleiny

Grab a pair of your sisters stockings, chop the foot off, put hops in, tie a knot in it and chuck it in the keg. Do it all the time.
Cheers
Steve

I can't for the life of me remember where I saw someone selling the tea balls... But I can remember seeing it somewhere... Can someone point us in the right direction?

Grab a pair of your sisters stockings, chop the foot off, put hops in, tie a knot in it and chuck it in the keg. Do it all the time.
Cheers
Steve

Really your SISTERS stockings :icon_vomit:

Buy some new ones or get your sister to buy some

:lol:

Ive added pellet hops before straight to the keg using a hop bag tying it up and weighing it down with some spare SS parts lying around.

Yes,

Meshing this fine will protect you from hop matter, anything with a more open weave will probabaly give you problems. Another option could be a square or tied off Voile.

Only use a teaball if its full cone/plug hops. Pellet matter will get through unless its an uber fine mesh and end up in your glass.

Whats wrong with a bit of hop pellet in the glass or between your teeth? Didnt your mother ever tell you to eat your greens ;)

I reckon the voile is a good alternative, recently did a cranberry cream ale with a voile bag for the fruit, worked awesome, no fruit pulp or anything in the keg ftw B)

OR, you could use a coffee plunger if you have one, and put the hops in with about 300ml of boiling water - leave it for 5 minutes to extract the maximum aroma, and then plunge it down to filter the hops out, and pour into the keg (preferably cold to help trap the aroma and flavour without letting it convert to other compounds with heat). This gives a great aroma and flavour hit - I prefer this much more to dry hopping now, the difference is noticeable.

Another advantage is that you can add the hop juice just before serving. Open the lid of the gassed up keg, pour in the hop juice, purge the keg and you are ready to go, the most intense hop aroma you can get!

cheers,

Crundle

OR, you could use a coffee plunger if you have one, and put the hops in with about 300ml of boiling water - leave it for 5 minutes to extract the maximum aroma, and then plunge it down to filter the hops out, and pour into the keg (preferably cold to help trap the aroma and flavour without letting it convert to other compounds with heat). This gives a great aroma and flavour hit - I prefer this much more to dry hopping now, the difference is noticeable.

Another advantage is that you can add the hop juice just before serving. Open the lid of the gassed up keg, pour in the hop juice, purge the keg and you are ready to go, the most intense hop aroma you can get!

cheers,

Crundle

sounds good but i reckon a stocking filled with hops sitting at the bottom the keg probably blocking the beer out tube is much tastier :lol:

Teaballs work fine for me with pellets. Never had a problem with hops clogging up taps of poppits or in the glass.
Just dont over fill the teaballs as the hops expand. I usually only half fill each one.

Gregor

+1 for coffee plunger. Once plunged, the hops all seem to clump together nice and tightly at the bottom, which even makes cleaning easy.

crundle: Never thought about hop tea in the keg.....Silly me. That's an awesome idea.

I can't for the life of me remember where I saw someone selling the tea balls... But I can remember seeing it somewhere... Can someone point us in the right direction?

linky

You can get smaller ones from kitchen shops such as Robin's Kitchen in QLD. As 4* says, only use flowers or a plug. Maybe some NZ Cascade flowers? I used a Styrian Goldings plug in a keg of TTL and it worked a treat.
Otherwise hop tea.

+1 for coffee plunger. Once plunged, the hops all seem to clump together nice and tightly at the bottom, which even makes cleaning easy.

crundle: Never thought about hop tea in the keg.....Silly me. That's an awesome idea.

I heard about it from BBR I think, and I had just started no chilling with BIAB, so I was fearful of increased bitterness and losing the aroma of flame out hopping. So I gave it a crack on a Smurto Golden Ale and the hit of amarillo was incredible, and seems to last the whole of the keg as long as you don't vent the keg (which I do from time to time if I am bottling from the keg as I lower the pressure to let it pour slowly without foaming in the bottles - no CP filler here).

I have read that 5 minutes in the plunger is about the most effective for aroma, there is a graph of utilisation of hops floating around here somewhere, but overall I have been converted to using my flam out hops and dry hops in a coffee plunger (or french press) for a great hit.

cheers,

Crundle

that is what I posted in the first reply to the OP...a french press is also known as a coffee plunger...

I really should give this method a go lads!

So simple, yet so effective. Especially when no chilling!

I really should give this method a go lads!

So simple, yet so effective. Especially when no chilling!
Sounds like what I need for my latest IPA. Except the Mrs uses one of these for her coffee and I don't think we've got a coffee plunger around here.

Might give it a crack with that anyway ;)

Latest posts

Back