Dry Hopping - Should I steralize?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewDan

Reaction score
Do I need to sterilize my hops in anyway when I throw them into the fermenter during fermentation? I'm about 4 days in so yeast is still very active.

some have claimed to have had infections from dry hopping I think, never had one myself, just chuck em in, just make sure container used to weigh out hops is clean and lid/glad wrap is off briefly.. I have had some minor probs when using lots of flowers though with blockages. Having probs with plagues of vinegar flies at present so gotta be quick getting the hops in and the glad wrap back on before one goes in on a suicide mission.

edit: I usually wait until active fermentation over as well, often a day before crash chilling.

I've don't sterilize and haven't had a problem. Only thing I'd add, is wait until fermentation has slowed a bit more. I find you lose some of the aroma in the fermentation process if you dry hop while yeast activity is high.

HomeBrewDan said:
Do I need to sterilize my hops in anyway when I throw them into the fermenter during fermentation? I'm about 4 days in so yeast is still very active.
As as been noted, cant see much point dry hopping into an bubbling mass and driving off all the aromatic oils, which is really the point of the exercise.
I normally wait at least a week til things have settled down, generally by then the alcohol takes care of the nasties, I can only assume this to be the case as I've never had an issue with infection, let it sit a further 5 to 7 days and bottle or keg up.

hops have anti bacterial properties, thats why I drink so many hoppy beers

I'm gonna jump in on this.
I just put some cascade into my Povo IPA. I waited until the ferment had slowed, then lifted the lid, stirred them in briefly, then shut the lid.
My big worry was waiting until the ferment had finished, coz opening it up lets in the air but there is no more CO2 happening to pump it out- so maybe the beer goes off?
I've read people put it in after ferment then let it sit for a week or more.
Is that it? Or am I missing some vital step which stops bacteria doing their thing?
Thanks.
ps, if you've seen/replied to my povo post, don't be afraid to tell me honestly what you think. I can take it!!

Why stir?
Throw hops in.
They will cause some C02 to come out of solution. This will purge the air.
There is no issue.

I stirred it to get it moving in there a bit, but if there's no need, I won't bother in future. Thanks!

Nope, chuck em in straight. We go in at diacetyl rest, if a second charge is needed we go in again at 2-4 days from the initial with a drop to 12c on the second amount.

You get better results off the yeast. Easy for me as i have conicals and can yeast-off easy. transfer to another barrel on the HB scale. the hop oils will coast the yeast, sucking out flavour.

/// said:
Nope, chuck em in straight. We go in at diacetyl rest, if a second charge is needed we go in again at 2-4 days from the initial with a drop to 12c on the second amount.

You get better results off the yeast. Easy for me as i have conicals and can yeast-off easy. transfer to another barrel on the HB scale. the hop oils will coast the yeast, sucking out flavour.
Or use more hops. Surprised Yob liked your post he could sell more hops. :D

The only time I sanitise anything to do with dry hopping is if I'm dry hopping a keg and dangling one of those little hop bags.

Only sanitise the mini hop bag..

I doubt /// is buying hops from Yob. I'm talking 5 gallons of beer in a carboy. :p (and I'm taking the piss)

and use more hops if your not happy with flavour, racking off the yeast is a great idea, however the chances of oxidising your beer are increased during transfer unless your process is airtight. pun

Yeah, squirrelling away almost a ton next year, easy for me to yeast off as I have ccv's.

I am about to dry hop with willamette but due to travel I have to dry hop for 14 days will that make the beer grassy ? I seem to read a lot about that but cannot get time guidance

Jazzman said:
My big worry was waiting until the ferment had finished, coz opening it up lets in the air but there is no more CO2 happening to pump it out- so maybe the beer goes off?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFRlidbpmTk

I boil my hop sock for 5-10 mins, then let it sit in no-rinse for 3 mins. Then squeeze off excess water and put hops in it (then tie it off at both ends and chuck into fermenter). I assume that's pretty much what I should be doing?

/// said:
What about for aroma? I'm pretty happy with the flavours I get, but right now I'm chasing more aroma.

Current regime is simply 2 weeks in primary, with dry hops added 5 days from end of that 2 weeks at 3.3g/L.
Next batch I'm planning 2 weeks in primary, with dry hops added 3 days from end of that 2 weeks, at 5.1g/L.
Dry hopping with equal amounts Amarillo, Willamette & Simcoe.

Edit: I have no temp control :( and I bottle.

Latest posts

Back