Dry hopping - noob

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosscomatic

Reaction score
Hi all... I'm brand now to the forum, and brewing in general so my apologies if this has been asked a million times...

So here is a couple of noob questions...

When you're dry hopping, do you need to sanitise the hops? And if so... How on earth?

Should you use a hop bag for dry hopping? And if so, does it need to be sanitised before chucking it in? I'd assume so, right? I'd be using starsan to sanitise it (at the right concentration)...

Thanks!!

Rosscomatic

Don't need to sanitise. Hops were originally used centuries ago in brewing to sanitise the brew (& as a bonus add flavour & aroma).

I was told when i started: "no infection has ever resulted from hops additions"; & so far so good.

Up to you as to whether you use a hop bag. I wouldn't bother if using pellets - just throw them in. If using flowers its a v good idea. Pellets disperse & settle into the trub. Flowers are kinda similar, but will block the outlet when you go to drain the fermenter. If you use the hop bag, you do need to sanitise it - i just boiled mine the one time i've used it (for dry hopping with flowers). Starsan would probably do the trick more easily though. Make sure you wash/soak the hop bag beforehand to remove any residues from its manufacture.

Good luck! B)

What are you brewing?

Thanks technobabble. Makes sense...

At the moment I have a honey ale on. Based on some recipe i found somewhere... But I've learnt a ton of into over the last few days and I think my next one will be much better than this will turn out.

Next I was prett keen on either a very hoppy hop hog kind of thing, but leaning more towards something super malty... Just to give it a go and see how it turns out...

I've used ianh's spreadsheet to play around, but I have no idea what hops or ingredients would make a super malty ale taste good... So although it's moving away from the original question, any advice on making a super malty ale would be great!!

the spreadsheet is fantastic! It covers all the important basics on what goes into making a good beer.

I'd assume the next few beers will all be part of the learning curve, so maybe just try a few. Malty, hoppy, whatever!

I'd suggest checking a recent thread on Designing Recipes - its got some simple tried & tested guidelines. In particular, keep it basic: 1-4 grains, 1-3 hops. No more.

btw, are you doing K&K, extract, or All Grain?

The only sanitary thing I do when dry hopping is sanitise a small container with starsan, allow it to air dry then weigh my hops in it without actually touching them. The hops themselves don't need to be sanitised. They have some mild antibacterial characteristics.

I chuck them straight in if using pellets. If using flowers or plugs, I recommend a hop bag so they don't clog taps and tubing.

technobabble66 said:
the spreadsheet is fantastic! It covers all the important basics on what goes into making a good beer.

I'd assume the next few beers will all be part of the learning curve, so maybe just try a few. Malty, hoppy, whatever!
That's definitely the plan!

technobabble66 said:
I'd suggest checking a recent thread on Designing Recipes - its got some simple tried & tested guidelines. In particular, keep it basic: 1-4 grains, 1-3 hops. No more.
I will check it out! Don't suppose you have a link to it by any chance?

technobabble66 said:
btw, are you doing K&K, extract, or All Grain?
K&K? I assume that's kits? I have used kits but I think I prefer I un-hopped extracts and then adding hoops as I see fit.

I'd like to do an all grain one day but don't have the gear at the moment.

AND I don't have any great way of controlling temp yet... But I'm hopefully going to change that over the next few weeks.

Rosscomatic said:
That's definitely the plan!
... and then adding hoops as I see fit...
I'm not adding hoops... Damn you autocorrect!!!

I do the same as manticle. Sanitise a container, weigh the Hops and piff them into the beer. No worries.

Rosscomatic,have a listen to BeerSmith podcast #52, For the love of hops,Stan Hieronymos.
An interesting listen at the 29:45 mark they touch on dry hopping,but listen to the whole show.
I did listen to another podcast which could have been Basic Brewing Radio with Dr Charlie Bamforth,to say he does not agree with dry hopping would be an understatement .
But each to his own,hope this is useful to you. ..cheers...spog....

Rosscomatic said:
Thanks slog! I'll be downloading those podcasts tonight!!
A lot of info can be heard on podcasts I prefer to listen,rewind and listen again especially with people like Charlie Bamforth,Stan Hieronymos,etc.
Sitting back with a brew and listening to a podcast is much easier than drinking and trying to read at the same time !
Cheers....spog...

spog said:
A lot of info can be heard on podcasts I prefer to listen,rewind and listen again especially with people like Charlie Bamforth,Stan Hieronymos,etc.
Sitting back with a brew and listening to a podcast is much easier than drinking and trying to read at the same time !
Cheers....spog...
True words, spog... I've got a bit of time on buses and trains in the morning so listening to podcasts will help me pass that time quite nicely.

spog said:
Rosscomatic,have a listen to BeerSmith podcast #52, For the love of hops,Stan Hieronymos.
An interesting listen at the 29:45 mark they touch on dry hopping,but listen to the whole show.
I did listen to another podcast which could have been Basic Brewing Radio with Dr Charlie Bamforth,to say he does not agree with dry hopping would be an understatement .
But each to his own,hope this is useful to you. ..cheers...spog....
The book is a good read too.

:)

I read somewhere once, to start dry hopping with 28g or 1 ounce, then the next time try 14g or half ounce. You'll work out what you like after a few brews and the effect it'll have on the beer. I dry hop after 5-7days roughly in primary.

marksy said:
I read somewhere once, to start dry hopping with 28g or 1 ounce, then the next time try 14g or half ounce. You'll work out what you like after a few brews and the effect it'll have on the beer. I dry hop after 5-7days roughly in primary.
What sized batch?

A gram a litre is probably a better starting point.

Be wary, some hops are much more suited to dry hopping than others.

Spiesy said:
What sized batch?

A gram a litre is probably a better starting point.

Be wary, some hops are much more suited to dry hopping than others.

Sorry a normal size batch 23L, which is just over a gram per litre anyhow.

Back