Dry Hopping, Grassiness And Cold Conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hang on, isn't Stone & Wood Pacific Ale heavily dry hopped with Galaxy? Taste it fresh from Byron and it is absolutely awesome.

Hang on, isn't Stone & Wood Pacific Ale heavily dry hopped with Galaxy? Taste it fresh from Byron and it is absolutely awesome.

I'd love to get hold of their hopping schedules.

If I can't, I'm going to put together a 4.5% quaffer 50/50 wheat and pilsner malt, mash in at a higher temp 68-70 deg, and put a truck load of galaxy at 10m.

I found that galaxy got lost among Citra, Nelson and Cascade in my Lord Nelson Citra Cascading out of this Galaxy Pale Ale. Great beer, but if I'd replaced the galaxy with citra, I'd have had basically the same beer. It appears as though Citra has the strength to overcome nelson (and vice versa), but galaxy seems to drown in among it.

That's perception, I do grant. And the beer is fantastic, so I'm really only whinging over nothing.

And if I'd had a hop ball, I'd have whacked in the keg with some Cascade or Citra. As a fresh beer, I was burping Cacade from the 10 minute addition. Now the bitterness has mellowed, the cacade isn't as fierce, which is a shame.

Goomba

Apparantly so but I've made this twice now, once with dry hop and once without and I found I was much closer in flavour profile without the dry hop. But i was only making it as an extract recipe. Used around 60g of hops all under 20mins adding all down to 5 mins. Was getting plenty of flavour as expected but the beauty of no dry hop was no herbal kind of taste.

Maybe they have a secret of Galaxy and dry hopping that we dont know about?

Apparantly so but I've made this twice now, once with dry hop and once without and I found I was much closer in flavour profile without the dry hop. But i was only making it as an extract recipe. Used around 60g of hops all under 20mins adding all down to 5 mins. Was getting plenty of flavour as expected but the beauty of no dry hop was no herbal kind of taste.

Maybe they have a secret of Galaxy and dry hopping that we dont know about?

I would love to know what that secret is. I've had problems with grassiness and galaxy and just don't know what to do about it. I dont know if it was because I left it too long or if that's just how Galaxy rolls.
Maybe less at dry hop and more at flame out?

Would Galaxy flowers produce different results for dry hopping rather than pellets?

I've heard of people making like a hop tea with a plunger and adding to the brew after fermentation. I wonder if that would impact on grassiness of galaxy as well, but still giving good aroma

I generally do the majority of my hopping for any fruity APA/AAA (and even IPA) at 5-10 minutes. I do sometimes dry hop now, but generally if there is a nice big quantity at 5-10, then there will be enough aroma. It's only when I have a 60/20 min addition that I would venture to dry hop.

Goomba

I to have been venturing down this path and been very happy with the results.

Dry hopping now is another variable for me that I wasnt happy with the results, not to mention another pain in the a$$ come kegging time.

There seems to be much talk about grassiness with the increased use of Galaxy as a dry hop, wondering if there may be any experience of astringency which has been my problem rather than grassiness when I have tried to up the dry hop galaxy to clone the S&W Pacific Ale.

Was thinking the next time I might use more hops and dry hop for less time.

Cheers

Personally I don't like galaxy and I don't care much for stone and wood so this comment is general only.

If experiencing grassiness in a dry hopped brew but you are determined to use that hop, up the flavour/late additions and just dry hop conservatively (1g per litre) for 2-3 days. If that gives you grassiness, I'd guess you'll never get the results from that hop. If it doesn' - build until you find the threshold for said beer and hop.

Good advicde manticle,

I was listening to that pod cast of brewstrong, and they were suggesting using a small amount for a long time, or a large amount for a small time to get a better flavour.

I've heard people complain about grassiness with Cascade dry hopped but I've never come across it. I've got a 23L batch in the fridge atm that I have dry hopped with 60gms of Cascade for 3 days at ferment temps (after ferment has finished) and then added a further 60gms Cascade at cold temp for 5 days. Wonder if I'll get grass this time...?

When I dry hop I make up a swiss voile baggy and put it in the keg. I don't remove it until the keg is drunk, sometimes months later.

When I dry hop I make up a swiss voile baggy and put it in the keg. I don't remove it until the keg is drunk, sometimes months later.
I'm the same mark... i routinely dry hop, with many different varieties of hop into the fermentor from anything from a few days to couple of weeks before kegging, or dryhop in the keg and don't remove it till the keg is done. Never had this grassiness from over exposure that people talk. Or if i have i like it.

I do roughly the same, except for the "sometimes months later", and I use a small piece of kneehighs.

I remember before I stopped posting people were talking about some large tea bags that would be good for single use dry hopping. Anyone found an online source for them?

Hey, bit of a gravedig, but it seemed like a decent place to add some info and ask for some advice. I've dry hopped with galaxy/amarillo and cascade/amarillo at ~2g/L for about a week. Both times they were great, no grassiness at all. The galaxy combo was insane. Smelled like a breakfast/tropical juice. It ended up like a stone and wood pacific ale on steroids :D . The Cascade combo ended up smelling like a fruity jam and was very nice too. Amarillo is a great hop overall for that fruity flavour and it's just backed up with Galaxy. Cascade was slightly more subtle and not so tropical. I love the fruity aroma's atm so I'm into the galaxy/amarillo and will brew something using them again soon.

I've got an IPA currently fermenting and I've used Topaz and Kohatu in the boil. I have about 30g of each left and was thinking of just throwing them all in for 5-7 days before bottling, so I'd end up with a 60g dry hop for 21L. It's more than I've used before, so I'm a bit hesitant atm. Anyone had any experience with these hops and dry hopping with them?

Heaps of people here dry hop with 200g+ and personally I've used at least 150g on several occasions. It's a matter of taste, it'll give you an awsome aroma but some might find it a bit over the top.

Up to you what you like, but nothing wrong with it from a process point of view.

I've dry hopped a few times with ~6g/L and no negative effects other than an unrelated hangover or two.

ed: I should add that contact time was kept under a week, and the beer was between 18-20c.

... and i thought i was being adventurous getting near 3g/L :p . I just primary atm, so they'll go in for a week before bottling at 20C. I'll report back with the results. Thanks for the help.

Back