Dry Hopping Coffee

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Major Arcana

Reaction score
Hi Fellas,

I have just put together a chocolate and oatmeal stout that is currently fermenting happily away on it's 3rd day. Is it possible to dry hop Coffee after the fermentation is complete, and how would i go about this? I do love a nice coffee note to my stouts. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Dan

Dry hopping is one way to do it and it works fine. Wait until primary fermentation is finished. Roughly grinding the coffee helps. How many litres is your brew? If it's a single batch I'd start with about 20g of coffee and taste it everyday. When it's ready either keg it or take out the bag with the coffee in it.

Another way to add coffee flavour to your beer is to cold steep the coffee. I've never done that so I can't suggest how much.

As with many flavour additions to beer it's better to use small amounts when you start as you can always put more in later. If you use to much you can't take them out.

Whatever you do avoid heating the coffee as that releases oil that will kill the head on your beer.

id cold press it.
grind as you normally would then sit it in cold water for a couple of days then strain and add.
no oils released and no additional bitterness

May I suggest if you really want to do this buy a 5l or 10l demijohn and rack 5l or 10l into that so that you don't have to have coffee in the whole batch? Between the oats, the grains, the hops and everything else you will already have a good brew and some great flavours.

Don't feel the need to get everything into one brew, you can always brew it again in the future and change it up a bit.

Being your third brew I think you will learn a lot more by leaving it alone and learning what different things bring to the party. Just my 2c.

brzt6060 said:
May I suggest if you really want to do this buy a 5l or 10l demijohn and rack 5l or 10l into that so that you don't have to have coffee in the whole batch? Between the oats, the grains, the hops and everything else you will already have a good brew and some great flavours.

Don't feel the need to get everything into one brew, you can always brew it again in the future and change it up a bit.

Being your third brew I think you will learn a lot more by leaving it alone and learning what different things bring to the party. Just my 2c.
You know what mate i think you are right, might just leave this batch and see how she goes, get a bit ahead of myself when it comes to all this. haha

cheers,

Dan

Great idea though, and have had similar thoughts about coffee and stout myself.

I recently added cold steeped coffee to a stout and was really glad to have decided to only add it to half the batch because both with and without turned out great.

As suggested by someone else in another cold steep coffee thread I added it on bottling day after taking a small sample (50ml in my case) and adding 1 ml at a time and tasting until I felt it was what I wanted. I then scaled it up to how many litres I wanted. I bulk primed as normal and bottled half then added my coffee and bottled the rest.

Latest posts

Back