Dry Hopp For Two Weeks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bttjn

Reaction score
Put together DR Smurtos Golden Ale as my first AG BIAB. Don't have a chiller so went the no-chill option with the intention of pitching the yeast when I get back from holidays towards the end of August.

Anyhow my cube leaked air overnight so I was forced to pitch yeast the next day. It's been in the primary for a week and down to 1.015. I was planning of leaving it there for another week, then just before I leave rack it secondary and add dry hopps. Then when I return two weeks later chill for a couple of days and keg.

Can anyone see a problem with dry hopping for two weeks? should I wait till I return and dry hopp then? Never dry hopped before and from what I read there is more than one way to skin the cat.

Dry hopp is 15g of Amarillo.

Shouldn't be a problem but the way I'd do it would be to put your hops in the conditioning vessel and add the beer. Then add to the fridge to chill for the time your away.

This will leave your beer ready to keg and carbonate on your return. Shorter turn around time to drink too :beerbang:

Cheers,

TS

As the scientist said, if you have a fridge spare then the beer is better off in there. If you are looking for aroma, then another option is to make hop tea and pour the strained liquid into the secondary container. That way you get the aroma and a lot of the flavour without having vegetation sitting in the secondary.

Thanks for the replies. I'll chuck the hops in the secondary, rack the beer and chill the night before I leave.

I did the same for my first all grain last weekend.

Quick question how long did it take for your air lock to stop bubbling. Mine stopped after 4 days. Bit worried it went to quick. Temp on fermenter sticker was at 20-22 while fridge mate was set at 18 with probe hanging free in the fridge.

Haven't done an SG yet will wait a week and do it then when I rack.

Don't use an airlock Darrenp, I'm using gladwrap. But I went from 1.050 to 1.015 in a week at 19'c. since then it's now on 1.012 approaching two weeks and hasn't changed for a couple of days so I'd say it's done. Not a very experienced brewer but from what little experince I do have it seems to be about what I'd expect from US-05

Once the fermenting kicks off I usually drop my fridgemate a couple of degrees below what I want the wort to be, as I find the fermenting produces it's own heat and can raise the temp above what is ideal. When fermenting slows down less heat is produced and I raise the fridgemate up a little.

Someone else with more experience might be able to explain a better way and if it's really necessary.

Latest posts

Back