Dry hoped and racked to secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimoB

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have never dry hopped until last night. The beer was an APA took a sample but didn't test gravity, seemed pretty dam good.

Anyway, It still had quiet a bit of krausen on top in the primary. It has been going steady at 18c for 8 days using US-05. Was it too soon to transfer to secondary or should all be fine?

I'll be drinking it anyway but just curious to see if my method was not on.

Cheers & beers,
Simo

i reckon it'll be fine after 8 days in primary, but check gravity now perhaps. then test tomorrow to see if it's the same. either or, if you're allowing the c02 to escape you shouldn't have a problem

didn't test gravity

Was it too soon to transfer to secondary

Therein lies the "non-answer" to your question, my friend.

But after 8-days at 18 for US05 you'd assume you would be fine, all being well.

Fair enough too. I read somewhere that if there is a krausen layer still on top of the beer then it is not ready. That's what got me to ask the question.

All comes down to the gravity, which i didnt check. (lesson learnt) I reckon it will be sweet.

SimoB said:
I read somewhere that if there is a krausen layer still on top of the beer then it is not ready
Krausen can stick around forever. Not an indicator either way.
Happy brewing SimoB

Cheers mate. Got home and checked gravity - All is fine, finished pretty nicely at 1008 SG. I think I need to stress less and brew more.

SimoB said:
Cheers mate. Got home and checked gravity - All is fine, finished pretty nicely at 1008 SG. I think I need to stress less and brew more.
amen brother!

all good. i stress a bit now and then about my beers. most recent brew day was a massive cock up but i still reckon the beer will turn out ok :)

Pratty1 said:
Fletcher, did you make that IPA?

OP, are you going to dry hop?
i did brother. it was my first on my new set up and i fucked it up royally! should be okay but my numbers and volumes and such are way off and my set up needs tweaking. i'm working it all through now. probably should done some simpler brews on it first haha

Latest posts

Back