Dry Hop In Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

I tried an experiment last week and :beerbang: it works a treat.

I brewed an ale which turned out a little bland. Not enought hops for my liking but I kegged it anyway thinking it would taste ok when carbonated. :( Alas it was still bland with fizz so I had a few more and decided to dry hop in the keg.

I got 15g of sazz hops and tied them in a sterile stocking leg and tied a piece of fishing line ( about 30cm long ) onto a cork and onto the stocking leg.( I wanted it to float so I could fish it out if I need to ) then depressurised the keg, opened the hatch , dropped the hops in and resealed the hatch and wound the gas up to serving pressure.
I left it for 2 days then tried it.

:beer: Yep it worked well and it tastes like a reasonable pilsner. Not award winning stuff mind you but still much more drinkable.

Has anyone else tried this ?

Cheers

JWB

Sure have tried it JWB - most recently a couple of weeks ago. I brewed up a decent, but reasonably boring Amber Ale. Dropped 15g of Cascade in a stainless teaball into the keg and it took off! The teaball sits next to the dip tube, so each pint is infused pretty well with hop flavour. I always drink too soon after dropping it in though, so it can get a little grassy.

Craftbrewer sells something similar to this product;
Although you can get them at tea shops etc pretty easily.

tea-ball-01_lg.jpg

I've got 2 hopballs in my current Bitter with total 3 plugs of Styrian Goldings... Yummmm :chug:

cheers Ross

Yep, I got a batch of bitter split between 2 kegs. One keg has a Styrian Golding plug in a teaball the other has a Northdown plug. Think I prefer the Northdown plug. What a great hop. :beerbang:

Warren -

I've got 2 hopballs in my current Bitter with total 3 plugs of Styrian Goldings... Yummmm :chug:

cheers Ross

Ross, you fit one and a half plugs in a teaball.?? i've been putting half a plug, because i found a whole plug didnt seem to fit to well (ended up with dry leaf in the middle).
Do you break them up prior...?

:lol:
that makes more sense then!?!? WELL... do you ross...?

by the way, thanks to JWB for the great idea..!!! i'm going to grab a couple of 'floats' so i can fish out (sorry, bad pun intended) my teaballs when needed. (probably easier than cork).

:rolleyes:

I tried an experiment last week and it works a treat.

I brewed an ale which turned out a little bland. Not enought hops for my liking but I kegged it anyway thinking it would taste ok when carbonated. :( Alas it was still bland with fizz so I had a few more and decided to dry hop in the keg.

I got 15g of sazz hops and tied them in a sterile stocking leg and tied a piece of fishing line ( about 30cm long ) onto a cork and onto the stocking leg.( I wanted it to float so I could fish it out if I need to ) then depressurised the keg, opened the hatch , dropped the hops in and resealed the hatch and wound the gas up to serving pressure.
I left it for 2 days then tried it.

:beer: Yep it worked well and it tastes like a reasonable pilsner. Not award winning stuff mind you but still much more drinkable.

Has anyone else tried this ?
Cheers

JWB

I have some black fish net stockings would they do ? :blink:

Pumpy

I have some black fish net stockings would they do ? :blink:

Pumpy
:ph34r:

If you put em in your keg Pumpy :unsure: What are ya gunna wear on Saturday nights

On a more positive side :huh: using a cork with about 30 cm of fishing line should suspend the hops until the keg is over half empty ..or is that half full ? If things get grassy I will fish em out..

Cheers

JWB

Has anyone tried using a piece of fishing line out through the lid? It should still seal around the line and there is no need to put your arm in the keg.

I do the same dry hopping my beers with a stocking. I tie a piece of dental floss to the end which goes back out through the lid. Seals OK for me.

Cheers.

I just dry-hopped a stubbie with half a hop pellet.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to pour the beer without getting hop sediment, but I figured that it would be worth a shot.

I've always liked the idea of adding less hops and just leaving them in the keg for the duration. I rarely go over 15g per keg. The dry hop character is never OTT this way.

Warren -

Has anyone tried using a piece of fishing line out through the lid? It should still seal around the line and there is no need to put your arm in the keg.

Not sure if that's a good idea Jye?
I may be wrong but the pressure of the lid on the fishing line could well create a groove in the rubber seal making it unusable in the future. The dental floss seems good though.

:beer:

I've always liked the idea of adding less hops and just leaving them in the keg for the duration. I rarely go over 15g per keg. The dry hop character is never OTT this way.

Warren -

I've always left the hops in the keg when I've done it. I put quite a lot of Amarillo in one keg that was getting a bit OTT by the last couple of glasses, but apart from that I haven't had any trouble with the beers ending up too hoppy...

Hey T.D. that last pint is usually the "god shot" :lol: :lol:

Warren -

I threw 15g of Amarillo in a keg recently and I heard it 'ding' when it hit the bottom :huh:

Turns out, I only have about three pints left in that keg....those last three looked as green as grass.

Hey T.D. that last pint is usually the "god shot" :lol: :lol:

Warren -

I literally had amarillo sludge in the bottom of the glass!! :lol:

But yep, enjoyed it down to the last semi-liquid drop! :D

Ross, you fit one and a half plugs in a teaball.?? i've been putting half a plug, because i found a whole plug didnt seem to fit to well (ended up with dry leaf in the middle).
Do you break them up prior...?

I think so - but now you got me wondering - maybe it was one in each - First time I've tried it, so will analyse the plugs once the keg is dry.

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back