Dry Enzyme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itguy1953

Reaction score
Does anyone have a idea on the impact of dry enzyme on FG?

I have used dry enzyme once, and the FG got to around 1.005, but I am not sure what it would have been without the dry enzyme.

Has anyone split a brew in half and added dry enzyme to half, and compared the two FG's.

Barry

dry enzyme generally strips all the sugars out of the brew and leaves it very dry. Never done a comparison but there would be quite a difference. Nasty nasty stuff that shit is

dry enzyme generally strips all the sugars out of the brew and leaves it very dry. Never done a comparison but there would be quite a difference. Nasty nasty stuff that shit is

I realise that the enzyme is breaking down the long chain sugars that give the beer body (and hence reducing the body), but I was wanting to make a drier beer from a kit and LME, just wondering how much enzyme to add to get an effect.

In the LBHS they sell a packet designed for a 23 litre brew. What would the impact be of adding half a packet? Does a single enzyme molecule break down a single sugar molecule, and hence half the normal addition will only breakdown half of the sugars that a full addition would?

Barry

Just curious - why were you using dry enzyme if you didn't know what effect it would have? I'm sure a search for 'enzyme' will produce some results... like this.

Does a single enzyme molecule break down a single sugar molecule, and hence half the normal addition will only breakdown half of the sugars that a full addition would?
<news reporter monster from Futurama> "Enzymes do not work that way... Goodnight." </news reporter monster from Futurama>

As with all catalysts, enzymes are not consumed by the reactions they catalyze, nor do they alter the equilibrium of these reactions.
I'd wager that adding half will just make it take longer, but give the same effect.

Latest posts

Back