Drsmurto's Golden - Misers Version.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjn200

Reaction score
Hi ya,

Has anybody done this with only 50g of hops? What was the schedule if you did. If you havent, any ideas? The GFC has finally hit me :(

G.

Oh and it will only be a 21litre batch as well (keg)

oh oh, extract version.

If I were to make a version of a golden ale with less hops, I'd leave out the middle "flavour" part.

IMO the bitterness and the aroma are most important.

Haven't you got any other hops? If so, use them for the bittering addition and use the amarillo for the rest.

If I were to make a version of a golden ale with less hops, I'd leave out the middle "flavour" part.

IMO the bitterness and the aroma are most important.

Haven't you got any other hops? If so, use them for the bittering addition and use the amarillo for the rest.

The hop fridge is bare! Got the grain, but as the hops come in 100g bags if I can get it to do 2 brews...:)

I've got some amarillo I can spare but after driving from the hills to Marleston to pick them up it would be cheaper just to buy more hops. You use $15 worth of petrol to get here & back.

I've got some amarillo I can spare but after driving from the hills to Marleston to pick them up it would be cheaper just to buy more hops. You use $15 worth of petrol to get here & back.

Ha, don't panic I'm not that close to the gutter, actually the Mrs just said it's nothing to do with money, it's that you've (I've) got OCD and need everything neat and organised!! *Hmmmm Graham ponders and looks for Therapists in the white pages...........*

Ha, don't panic I'm not that close to the gutter, actually the Mrs just said it's nothing to do with money, it's that you've (I've) got OCD and need everything neat and organised!! *Hmmmm Graham ponders and looks for Therapists in the white pages...........*

Funnily enough, DSGA was my 1st experience with adding hops. I figured I had to use them all on that batch or they'd be wasted so used 100g which I reckon is about double what the kit recipe asks for. That was many hop additions ago now.

Why not geta neutral bittering hop with a high aa and only use enough to bitter. One 100g packet would last 4 or more brews. so 3 packets of hops would last 4 or more brews incl the Amarillo without alot of compromise.

First of all - stop buying 100g packets of hops! :D It's ten bucks or less for 450g in the 'States.

http://www.hopsdirect.com/store/domestic-pellet-hops.html

Get together with a couple of other brewers and stock the fridge for the next two years brewing. You'll save heaps.

Getting the house's Minister of Finance to sign off on brewing expenses is all about "this is what it would cost if ... or this is what it'll cost in the LONG RUN, if I buy LOTS!".

Getting the house's Minister of Finance to sign off on brewing expenses is all about "this is what it would cost if ... or this is what it'll cost in the LONG RUN, if I buy LOTS!".

That one can be a challenge but you need to stay strong and wear them down :beerbang:

As a fellow hillbilly i am happy to give you some bittering hops (Magnum).

That way you can save your amarillo for flavour and aroma.

Home all day tomorrow if you want to drop in. Send me a PM if you are interested. I'm in Mt Torrens.

Home all day tomorrow if you want to drop in. Send me a PM if you are interested. I'm in Mt Torrens.

This my friends is why home brewing and home brewers are so good. 2 people that have possibly never met sharing goods and services.

'Graham, head over and steal all the Doctors secrets then take over the world, HAHA, HAHA.' :ph34r:

Jokes, Drew

Hopsdirect ..no amarillo..

True, hops are seasonal. I was intending that the concept could be put into action in the long term to avoid ever having hop issues.

The Northern Summer is in full swing and I guess the hoppys won't be ripe on the bines for a couple more months. Hopefully there will be some price falls this season as some of the USA hops are totally ridiculous.

Thanks ever so much....but no need, I have managed to claw the extra $ it will cost out of the stifes talons.:), Seriously it was just a thought as fiddling with the quantities in a brewing spreadsheet does'nt seem to make much difference to the outcome.

Back