Drilling An Old Kelvanator With Butter Softener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

properbeer

Reaction score
Hey guys finally got a second hand fridge for my keg setup! :beerbang: Got some good taps/shanks from the USA to fit on but this 'ol beauty of a fridge has a butter softener on the door. Has anyone had experience drilling a hole on a fridge like this? If so whats the best way to go about it? I haven't taken off the insides yet..just coz I've got my picnic tap working away sweetly atm....

Hey guys finally got a second hand fridge for my keg setup! :beerbang: Got some good taps/shanks from the USA to fit on but this 'ol beauty of a fridge has a butter softener on the door. Has anyone had experience drilling a hole on a fridge like this? If so whats the best way to go about it? I haven't taken off the insides yet..just coz I've got my picnic tap working away sweetly atm....

Some people pull all the door liner / shelving etc. out and replace with sealed masonite or similar.
In my fermenting fridge I just cut the plastic shelves that were in the way out. Still has foam insulation.

If it's a temperature controlled butter softener, I would just steer clear of where it's located. I thought that they were generally at the top of the fridge?

Most people install the taps around the middle.

Cheers,

Clint

If it's just an enclosed plastic box in the door of the fridge to keep the cold fridge air getting to the butter, that's no issue. Else, as Clint said above.

Yeah not sure if its temp controlled box but it does have a soft/med/hard switch... cheers for the replies aye guys

If its got the little switch then its electrically heated, with 240 Volts so be careful!
If its in the door it might be worth unscrewing the lining (about 20 of them under the seal) and terminating the wires; or drill the inside of the door carefully and have a good poke around to make sure the wire isnt where youre drilling.
M

Can always put the tap/s in the side wall... Assuming the lines all run in the back.

Got some good taps/shanks from the USA to fit on but this 'ol beauty of a fridge has a butter softener on the door. Has anyone had experience drilling a hole on a fridge like this? If so whats the best way to go about it?
Fold back the seal around the edged of the door and you will find a series of screws running under the seal. Undo these screws and the whole door lining (plastic shelves etc) will come off the door. You will be able to see any wiring which is running behind the lining.

If you don't want the shelves or the lining, just replace it with a piece of perspex or something similar and disconnect and terminate the wiring and place it out of the way so you wont drill through it. Reassemble the door and drill away.

If you was to keep the shelves and door lining, with the door lining removed, make note of where the wiring is running. Reassemble the door and drill your holes away from where the wiring is running.

Note: I am a Refrigeration Mechanic and Electrician. If you are not confident terminating the wiring yourself, get someone who is to do it for you.

If it's got the little switch then its electrically heated, with 240 Volts so be careful!
If it's in the door it might be worth unscrewing the lining (about 20 of them under the seal)

Might just do that just to be on the safe side. :icon_cheers:

Fold back the seal around the edged of the door and you will find a series of screws running under the seal. Undo these screws and the whole door lining (plastic shelves etc) will come off the door. You will be able to see any wiring which is running behind the lining.

If you don't want the shelves or the lining, just replace it with a piece of perspex or something similar and disconnect and terminate the wiring and place it out of the way so you wont drill through it. Reassemble the door and drill away.

If you was to keep the shelves and door lining, with the door lining removed, make note of where the wiring is running. Reassemble the door and drill your holes away from where the wiring is running.

Note: I am a Refrigeration Mechanic and Electrician. If you are not confident terminating the wiring yourself, get someone who is to do it for you.

Fantastic! Just the advice I was needing among the other great advice thanks and cheers guys!! :beer: This really is a great forum with some great peps out there! :kooi:

I just unplugged mine. Cut the cable leading from the fridge body to the door, put terminal caps on the end of each wire then contained all that in a little housing that sits under the fridge.

Latest posts

Back