New Fridge Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyh77

Reaction score
So I got myself a new fridge to build my kegerator. I currently have one that fits 4 kegs and I have 3 taps through the front door.

Got the new fridge (through Gumtree) that will now fit 6 kegs and also has a separate freezer compartment on the bottom, which is the main reason for the change.

I currently have a dual reg so I can have my stouts/porters on a lower pressure than the ales. I have 3 gas lines going in through the side of the fridge and 2 separate manifolds feeding in mounted on the side of the fridge, 1 a 3 way, 1 a two way. The 3 way has 2 lines going in and the 3rd as a external component to getg the )2 out of kegs prior to filling or top up kegs when aging. The 2 way only has one line going in. The 3 lines are all going into the fridge through a single hole with space filler filling it up.

So my question is how best to set up the new fridge so it looks cleaner (from the gas side). I am looking at the John Guest bulk head fittings, but not sure if there big enough for a fridge side wall. I would put 2 in, 1 for each of the regulators. Are there any better fitting to get the gas line into the fridge? Should the manifolds go inside the fridge?
I will also add another tap so I can get 4 kegs going and room for 2 to larger.

P.S For anyone looking at building a kegerator, I will be selling the older fridge soon. Already has 3 holes for taps drilled and a hole in the side for the gas. Has a small freezer inside which i was using for hops, will be selling for $50 once I set the new fridge up. More details to follow (location Seaforth, NSW)

I don't think they are long enough mate, unless your fridge has very thin walls. the thread on them is only around 20mm.
Bulkhead.jpg

Awesome, thanks, that's the info I needed.
Now to figure out what sort of connection to use. I don't just want to put the hose straight through the side, but use a quick type disconnect to easily remove them when needed.

Depending on what type of tubing you use, you can still use a JG straight connector either inside or outside the fridge.

upload_2017-11-3_19-15-59.png

If you are using valpar or similar 1/4" ID tubing, the OD will be 3/8". If you use a 3/8" drill bit you will have a nice snug hole for the tube. Obviously, the straight connector will be 3/8" x 3/8".

Yep, a couple of flange nuts against fridge wall and boom, JG connection either side.

Just be sure not to drill through the fridge gas lines ;)

Any merit to using a longer than needed thread/shank through the collar to chill?

Using 8mm - 5/16th OD., 6mm ID.

Are you sure the ID is 6mm? 6 x 8 is an unusual tube size. Usually with 8mm OD, the ID will be 4 or 5mm. It may not be JG compatible. But I am a commercial installer, and it may be common in the HB market. I would take a bit of tube with me to be sure. You may need to use a tube to hose stem if it is a soft tube.

Any merit to using a longer than needed thread/shank through the collar to chill?
In my opinion, if you are talking about beer, I have always been of the school of thought that the less beer in the line, the better (as long as the line is balanced.)

I would be looking at insulation instead.

Are you sure the ID is 6mm? 6 x 8 is an unusual tube size. Usually with 8mm OD, the ID will be 4 or 5mm. It may not be JG compatible. But I am a commercial installer, and it may be common in the HB market. I would take a bit of tube with me to be sure. You may need to use a tube to hose stem if it is a soft tube.
You're probably right. I did already have some Valpour 5mmID hose and just got this other stuff from the LHBS. They both are already fitted to 5/16th JG gas and liquid disconnects.

Latest posts

Back