Drilled kettle valve hole too big - Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhsbaker

Reaction score
So I thought that I only had one size of hole saw (the correct size for my kettle valve) , until I drilled the hole.

Turns out I have 1 1/4 in and 9 7/8 in.
Now I can't seal the gap.. I have washes that cover the gap but it still leaks.

Anybody got some advice to fix it?

Ducatiboy stu said:
Flange nuts
Thats a bit rough isn't it? Are you OK James? Lets stop this name calling before someone gets upset.

Oh yeah Stu's right Flange Nuts.

Bridges said:
Oh yeah Stu's right Flange Nuts.
Thankfully, Bridges knows his flange

flange-nut-over-inch.jpg

I think that it will still leak around the edges of the flange nut because it is round. I have a washer on it and it is leaking from behind the washer. It is a $70 ebay job so it is probably cheaper to buy a new one than to ss weld. Measure twice, cut once.

1431120942449.jpg

As above, looks like it's leaking through the thread. Go bananas with thread tape and that should take care of the leak.

kinda looks like the washer isn't bedding onto the flat part of the keg

droid said:
kinda looks like the washer isn't bedding onto the flat part of the keg
What droid said,try some rubber 'o' rings or raid the kitchen for a silicone baking mat and make some out of that.

flange nuts with a silicone washer ( make sure it's food grade), i had dramas sealing my birko urn when i changed the tap, i tried a few things, but ended up using loxeal 58.11

get a 1" valve and nipple off ebay and some ss bits like nuts etc as need

drill bigger and correct hole

fill your cube FASTER !!

problem solved :)

Trying to get some 1in threaded pipe but everything I have seen has an unthreaded section in the middle. And idea where I can get it from? All the hydraulic shops are closed by the time I finish work so would like to get online. I live in Brisbane BTW.

That's leaking through the threads mate, need to go nuts with the tape as when we brewers fit these things to kegs we don't use proper bulkheads therefore the o ring only seals between your washer and the kettle.

Latest posts

Back