Drill and grout stirrer when mashing in

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colo

Reaction score
Howdy all,

So, when mashing in I've taken the easy road with a drill and paint/grout stirrer whom have never contributed to the man shed. So when pouring the grain to mash I do bursts on the hammer drill to stop grain balls then during the heating to mash out I'm trying to "beat" the last sugars out of the grain.

Other than creating far more waist in the fermenting process, should I just buy an all mighty mash paddle and give it a stir instead?

Cheers

Colo

Treat the mash gently, electric stirrers can cause problems unless they are used at very low speeds.
I just use a stainless spoon.
Mark

Try one of the huge SS whisks that you can get a restaurant supply shops - they help break up dough balls easily and are much easier to stir the mash with than a solid paddle or spoon

What sort of system are you running? You could underlet at 50C and ramp up. Or just stir in at 50 if you're doing BIAB

I'm in the treat it gently camp too (or at least gentler).

I use a stainless chef's spoon (usually female/perforated) and mash in at 55, both of which mean close to zero dough balls.

Other techniques include underletting or adding part strike, part grain in sequence until everything is in, stirring gently with each addition.

Thanks for the responses. I BIAB and have only ever added the grain when the waters at mash temp. So by stirring the grain with the drill what are the potential side affects, off flavours in the beer?

I used to use a giant potato masher
$15 from my local hospitality supplier, best mash paddle I've ever used, I need to pull my finger out and buy another full stainless one

Colo said:
Thanks for the responses. I BIAB and have only ever added the grain when the waters at mash temp. So by stirring the grain with the drill what are the potential side affects, off flavours in the beer?
Hot side aeration :ph34r:

The biggest problem is the stretching our of gels, glucans, pentosans and protein can be smeared, if you want to see an extreme case make a bowl of rolled oat porridge for breakfast. The same processes that make porridge set are what I'm talking about. Clearly malt contains a lot less of the type of ingredients that we select for in cooking ingredients, but try lautering a bowl of Uncle Tobies, or even draining it through a BIAB bag.

It will slow drainage and reduce extraction from the grist, it also makes brewing a PITA.
Mark

Back