Dried Yeast Users

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just wondering how you all add your yeast to your fermenter.
Do you give the wort a good stir & sprinkle the yeast on top & leave it alone, or do you give it a stir, sprinkle on the yeast & really stir it up?
Cheers,
Brian

Do you give the wort a good stir & sprinkle the yeast on top & leave it alone,
thats it. i make sure its aerated and at the right temp and away she goes! well, sometimes it takes 12 to 24 hours to get bubbling but never had a problem.

Hey Brian,

I am using slurry more and more these days but still refresh every few brews with a fresh packet of dry!

I do the sprinkle and leave method when I use dry yeast... that said;

I no-chill in my fermenter, then when at temp I aerate with a ladle.. scoop and stir the wort like it owes me money!

Then just sprinkle the yeast packet over the top and seal with lid and airlock - NB: Have never had a problem!

I do however carry the fermenter to the fermenting fridge quite aggressively, so I guess it is sort of like stirring....

Anyway, each to their own - if it aint broke..

Cheers
C

Just pondering this myself, in the middle of making a recipe from odds and sods.

I at least re-hydrate, or make a suitable starter if it is better planned.

with dry yeast i always throw the yeast in first and then pour the wort in from the cube with plenty of aeration, never had a misfire.

cheers
Yard

I use one of those kitchen stick blender things to aerate my wort. I used to sprinkle and leave but i open ferment (well no air lock anyway) so i wanted the ferment to start a bit quicker and the sprinkle and leave method was not starting quick enough (for my liking any way)

i have recently started rehydrating my yeast with cooled boiled water (about 2 or 3 degrees cooler than wort temp) i put it in a class add the water, stir, leave, stir leave until the yeast is all suspended. I then add this to the wort and then use the stick blender to aerate with the yeast in there. my last 2 brews have seen activity within 3 or 4 hours and a strong ferment within about 6 or 7 hours.

I at least re-hydrate, or make a suitable starter if it is better planned.
damn this short term memory loss! im sure i just heard or read something in the last few days (maybe even today?) about why you dont need a starter with dry yeasts. it was pretty convincing. i'll try and find a link cause i know it'll keep me awake tonight trying to remember where it was from.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Today's yeast adidtion was stirred, sprinkle & stir it up like crazy. I am draining my boiler from a decent height into the fermenter & get plenty of aeration. I think I will go the stir, sprinkle & leave it alone approach next time.
Cheers,
Brian

damn this short term memory loss! im sure i just heard or read something in the last few days (maybe even today?) about why you dont need a starter with dry yeasts. it was pretty convincing. i'll try and find a link cause i know it'll keep me awake tonight trying to remember where it was from.

Maybe it's the 8.5% belgian talking... but yes, that rings a bell.

I can't bring myself to do the sprinkle though, I just don't like seeing all of those floaties.

I no-chill

So I pour it all in, then sprinkle the yeast on top. It's packed with all the nutrients to get it all started. Can't go wrong.

Ale I sprinke on top and aerate a little once it gone in there.

Lager I rehydrate yeast aerate sample and aerate wort to the buggery and pitch double amount at 10-12 degrees celcius an leave it.

re-hydrate to see if viable!

build up yeast count and reduce lag time.

I bottled an APA yesterday.
OG 1.052, FG 1.006, fermented at 20C. 2 weeks in the fermenter.
Not aerated, just sprinkled US05 on top.

For liquid yeasts, I aerate with an airstone.

I rehydrate my dried yeasts, takes the guesswork out of knowing what's going to happen and increases the yeast cell count and viability which leads to more efficient fermentations.

cheers

grant

Sprinkle on top nothing else

Grantw Posted Today, 07:36 AM
I rehydrate my dried yeasts, takes the guesswork out of knowing what's going to happen and increases the yeast cell count and viability which leads to more efficient fermentations.

cheers

grant

Dead cells are magically brought back to life, and they start reproducing in water?

I question the benefits of rehydrating yeast, but at least look for something that is even possible to base your claims on.

MHB

Back