Draining wort from plate chiller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newts

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Yesterday I put together an ESB and I think I've got my system sorted now except for this plate chiller.

Each brew I am finding that in the lines to and from the plate chiller, and inside the plate chiller after finishing the chilling process I'm losing 1-2 litres of wort that stays in there. The pump doesn't push it through as it has no fluid behind it to pump.

This time I hooked up my HLT and pushed it out but I'm wondering if there's a special way you can set your system up so there's nothing left in there after chilling.

Anyone else experienced this?

Cheers,

Newts

Bit delayed but how do you push yours through with CO2 mate. I imagine you'd have to have a disconnect hooked up to your chiller? Love to see a photo.

Cheers

I use a CFC but similar issue. I use a 19mm copper tube to siphon out of my BK and then once it is empty, I move it over to a bucket full of clean starsan and push all the remaining wort on through all the way to the fermenter. Once all the wort is pushed through, I move the hose from the fermenter back into the bucket of starsan and recirculate for ~30mins while I finish cleaning up. That way the CFC gets a good clean and I don't lose any wort in the transfer to the fermenter.

the 7th pic down on this post might help to clarify if all that gibberish I've typed above is nonsensical:
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/78681-my-typical-brew-day/

Latest posts

Back