Downscale Kitchen Brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capsicum

Reaction score
After a few years brewing with a full size 3V system, I had a crack at brewing a small batch in the kitchen the other night. It was partly because it was damn cold in the shed, partly because the Tour de France was on TV and partly because I already have too many full kegs.

What a success! I should have tried this ages ago. I made a 4L batch pretty much just using kitchen gear and a bucket. It was quicker, easier and hardly any cleaning up - perfect for a work night. Definitely recommend it.

I'll definitely be using it as a way to try out single malt and single hop brews and some of the weirder ideas without risking a full batch

Sounds like a good idea to me
Stovetop BIAB no chill small batch
Will give this a try too

I like the idea.. more experimentation! And it could be quite handy for using up split smack packs.

Alas, the minister for finances would no doubt object to me returning to her kitchen with my brewing paraphernalia.

Sounds good but maybe its time to get an old wood heater and TV in the man cave.

You need one of these:

woodheater.jpg

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Wood-heaters-large-size-400mm-x-600mm-/251297420105?pt=AU_Building_Materials&hash=item3a827e5349&_uhb=1

You could keep warm and boil your brew on the top of it. :)
I wish I had the money to blow on that heater.

helles said:
Sounds like a good idea to me
Stovetop BIAB no chill small batch
Will give this a try too
Didn't even BIAB - just poured the mash through a large sieve sitting in the top of the bucket, then poured the sparge water through it also. Went back and forth a couple of times through the grain from the pot to the bucket. Crude, for sure.

I just put the pot in the sink with cold water, changed the water once and it was down to temp. Too easy. Lucky I had an empty one of those giant whisky bottles sitting around to ferment in

Good for experimental brews. A lot of effort for just a couple of bottles though.

Latest posts

Back