Adding sugar mid brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave D

Reaction score
Hi All, I’m new to the brew scene and up to my second brew (coopers pale kit). My fist brew was the standard coopers ale out of the brew kit box which isn’t amazing. It’s drinkable but I wouldn’t buy it. I’m thinking it was because I decided to brew a few weeks ago in the high 20s. It definitely throwing off a few cidery/ banana notes but I’m getting through it.
my current batch is a pale ale. (Consistent at 22 deg.). I started brewing it 3 days ago (OG 1.035) and today read 1.010 approx. I decided to go off course and throw in 250g of boiled dextrose to try and get the alcohol content slightly higher. Things definitely livened up with Foam and bubbles. The new reading was slightly higher (1.012 approx.).
Not sure if I am going rogue here but just wanted to have a go but my question is... if my new reading was 1.012 after addi by the dextrose, do I add the .002 on to my OG of 1.035 making it now 1.037?... any words would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Dave

Latest posts

Back