doughing in

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amarks6

Reaction score
I've always been in the habit of filling my mash tun with the required amount of strike water, then adding the grain - in stages - mixing as I went.

But I watched a Youtube video the other day where the brewer put all the grain into an empty mash tun, then pumped the water in from the bottom - below the false bottom.

What's the general consensus on this method? Does this lessen the chances of getting a stuck mash?

If you googled this question you would find it on every single brewing forum every six months or so.
At the end of the day there's very little betwwen methods despite some people's assertion to the contrary. I find the method you described the easiest to mix through (water, grain, water, grain, bit by bit) but really there's SFA in it on the whole.

'Under-letting'

I find if I under let my mash tun, I am COMPELLED to stir it regardless!! Just doesn't feel right not too!!

As I use a RIMS tube, I found I can heat both mash AND sparge water at the same time if I don't under let.

So I just fill then mash in the old school way. Its fun!!

Cheers
Matty.

If you add water that's above gelstinisation temp for your grains you're more likely to get dough balls as the outside layer of grain will gelstinise and form a seal. If you're doing a step mash and starting low it'd be alright but if you're doing single a saccharification rest you're better off adding grain to water. Can't remember where but just a few days ago I was reading about this.

the issue with the method your describing is the strike temperature is calculated for a set liquor to grist ratio. So if you are mashing-in in stages, then you should be doing so proportionally, whilst maintaining the 3:1 liq:grist ratio otherwise you will overshoot your target mash temp.

Back