Doubling Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carpkiller

Reaction score
I have just started to brew my own, I have my fourth batch fermenting now. I decided to try for a batch of 'super beer' with a higher alcohol content for when I need a quick pick me up. I used a 1kg tin of liquid brewing sugar and thyen added 1kg of dextrose sugar. Is this likely to cause me any problems? I've heard that sometimes there can be too much sugar for the yeast to ferment. any advice greatly appreciated. :p

The yeast should ferment it okay. The yeast that comes with the tins are pretty capable when it comes to adjuncts. More to the point is that more sugar will lower the malt to sugar ratio, and may give you cidery flavour or very thin body. Next time, consider using dried or liquid malt extract, which will give you beer a better flavour and help its body.

Yeah I'm not real keen on eating the carp, but they do make a great bait down the coast. Scaled, filleted, stripped and salted. Pulled in a great load of Flatties offshore at Bermagui. Flathead is a top eating fish!!

Yeah I'm not real keen on eating the carp, but they do make a great bait down the coast. Scaled, filleted, stripped and salted. Pulled in a great load of Flatties offshore at Bermagui. Flathead is a top eating fish!!

Crayfisherman like them too apparently. Good bait.
The more things they are good for , the less of them there will be yeah

I think it would not taste good if you use too much sugar. The best would still be using more malt extract in place of sugars. I am sure a lot of forumers would agree with me on this.

Carp make for good eating. They're what a mate refers to as a red housebrick fish. You get yourself one of those big old fashioned red housebricks. Dig a small hole, start a fire in it with coals and get them going. Then you wrap the fish in wet newspaper or banana leaves, put the brick on the coals, and then put the fish on the brick and bury the lot. Come back the next day, dig the lot up, throw the fish away and eat the housebrick.

That's a bit like the old bush story about how the old settlers dealt with eating cockatoos.
Put cockatoo in pot with 10 litres of water and 2 lbs of stones. Boil for 3 hours. Throw away cockatoo and eat stones.

Just throwing an extra kilo of sugar into a kit and kilo mix will give you a rather average brew.

you need to balance the beer more, more bitterness, more malt, more hop flavour.

what are the rest of the details of your brew?

what yeast? what temperature? what kit? any other adjuncts?

What 0M39A is getting at is that you should ideally ferment at 18-20'C for ales and below 12'C for lagers [unless it specifically says a lager yeast is provided, assume its an ale]. 2kg of sugar is overkill in anyones book, but replace that with 2kg of malt extract and no-one's gonna argue! Of course, with putting more malt into a brew you really should add some extra hops, so in they go as well...you can get very carried away with what you brew.

End story - have a read of the info around this site and you'll be brewing like a pro in no time! Meanwhile, enjoy the fruits of your labour so far.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Messed up temp recommendation :s

I'm confused,
How many house-bricks, carp, cockatoos, grams of malt and stones do I add to my brew before I can use it as bait?
How long do I boil the hops before I eats the cockatoos?
What if my carp has a yeast infection?

Help me please someone?

I'm confused,
How many house-bricks, carp, cockatoos, grams of malt and stones do I add to my brew before I can use it as bait?
How long do I boil the hops before I eats the cockatoos?
What if my carp has a yeast infection?

Help me please someone?

Ah yes, nothing like a good laugh and good brew to finish the weekend. Thanks fellas. Much appreciated.

Bwah ha.

i just made my 1st batch on ginger beer this week and i doubled teh sugar to get a higher Alch%, i rationalised to myself that as it was a suger drink and not beer as such, the sugar would do its job with little in the way of adverse tastes

Latest posts

Back