Double Batch Fun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
I brewed a double batch of Belgian inspired Ale today:
View attachment 6089

I took some pics to prove that AG brewing is fun, cathartic and you get beer at the end of it all.
I know a couple of rocket scientists and they were not involved whatsoever.
(i take photos for a living so take these quick grabs as what they are, just snaps, not proper shots)

View attachment 6090
i haven't really tried this Galaxy before so i had a heap left. no other reason for it being in the "recipe", which has been created by pure arse alone. No prosmith, but maybe a little brew magic (thank you again S Jobs, i love you :ph34r: ).
View attachment 6091
i did add almost my last dregs or Maris Otter which is a bloody beeeoooty for a malty beer. my 1st AG was 100% MO and i have very fond memories of that beer. the pictured is a jar full of cararoma. another 1st use for me, thanks suppliers, you rock! :super:
View attachment 6092
into the 1/100th horsepower mill. i've noticed my husks are holding together a lot better in the rare Adelaide humid weather. I might start giving the grain a spray (as mentioned in book somewhere) before milling. I milled all the grain the previous day. The rolled oats amazingly almost stayed intact.
Get some water hot
View attachment 6097
thanks to my Jazman kettle/hlt
View attachment 6093
GMK modified mash tun inderlet. Minimal stirring.
View attachment 6094
instant porridge, but it smells sooo good.
View attachment 6095
bang the lid on, set the specialK timer (that's not a drug metaphore) and f*&k off for 1 & 1/2 hours apart from an occasional stir and temp check. she's a tad hot at around the 68C mark but i want a long term sweet port kind of ale here so i let it go. also i had no more room to go with additions, the cooler chockers. A couple of batch sparges later into a handy spare fermenter and a big pot, it's back into the kettle.
View attachment 6098
some more heat
View attachment 6099
this beeps when it's at a temp i set at 98C. too easy
View attachment 6100
oh, no captain, i can't hold her, she's going to blow!
View attachment 6101
who needs skimming?
the boilover didn't even get to the bottom of the kettle thanks to some quick gas control
View attachment 6102
thanks to a 90 minute boil, and a low hopped beer, my 1st hopping is at 40mins to flameout, so luckily a soft rolling boil reduces my volume before the hop 1st hop additions.
View attachment 6103
pacific gem and nelson sauvin - a double barreled high aa blast to the kettle, but only 10g each to start.
View attachment 6104
even though i had a lot of space for my last additions i still get a hop boilover. my wort rejects my out of profile late hop addition and View attachment 6105 regurgitates it out around the edge of the kettle. Best 2 boilovers ever! nothing got to the floor and I wasn't in the kitchen. Life is a fluid chain of events, you move on.
after a quick chill with about 60L of water, kept in drums for garden and potplant use,
View attachment 6105
I've got 2x 18L brews. After reading Mercs 2x yeast post i'm about to innoculate with 1 trappist ale and 1 belgian strong ale. (sorry accountants, i don't do yeast numbers)

and Bingo Bango, beer for all! :)
Piece of p!ss, easiest brewday Saturday ever.

Sorry dial uppers.

Well done Tangent, looks like you had a very satisfying day, I bet the aromas coming from your boiler were great.

Cheers
Andrew

tangent said:
No prosmith, but maybe a little brew magic (thank you again S Jobs, i love you :ph34r: ).
[post="110993"][/post]​
/me walks away shaking head at apple fanboy.

Glad the brew went well though.

You need to pay more attention to brewing and less to taking photos

Boil overs really mate !

I haven't had one of them since my last brewday.
Glad it went we,double batch is the only way to go

Batz

Great work mate.

I have an 18 gallon (68 liter) keg as a boiler and a 50 liter batch is a walk in the park in that.

I recon i could push it to a 60 liter batch if i wanted but......... 60 liters is to heavy to lift in a firmenter, im only a little fella :rolleyes:

I like doing big batches, i dont get much time to brew and this keeps the keg and bottles full, to a degree.

cheers.

1st double brew since going AG Batz :) I need a bigger kettle already!
with a single brew, no fear of boil over at all
thinking back to the time i boiled sh!t all over the kitchen stove in 10L pots. I'm so glad i don't brew in the kitchen anymore.

way to go tangent great stuff.bit of a wuss with the hops though.only ten grams each.get up to the double ton and your cooking serious hops.
and whats with the double batches are the way to go hey batz.if i did that then it would mean less brewing.i just cant drink that quick of late.mind you im going to do a double one of these days.

enjoying the last few sips of ross,s ruination
big d

This year, from now until Xmas, I will be lucky to fit in one brew day a month. So double batches will be the go for me. With a difference.

I have a similar (ahem!) recycled boiler, and a crude gravity fed system so the risks to the back and of boilover of doing double sized brews don't seem worth it to me.

Instead, a double batch brew day means two 25L brews of different beer done back to back. All up it adds little more than an hour to the brew day, and it keeps you busy during all the boring waiting bits.

Even if I am doing two brews at a time, Tangent will still have overtaken me for the number of AG brews completed by Invasion Day. That's OK, what pisses me off is that he is brewing beer, and I am getting the beer belly :blink:

you're not the only one growing a belly as well as a malt collection Stu! i make time to brew during weekdays, while you're working for the man. if i'm not booked and a keg is 1/4 empty, i'm brewing :)
bigD, 10grams each of ~13%aa hops was only my 1st addition
there's another addition every 5-10 mins until flameout, but still trying to make a restrained Belgian inspired brew. Everything i've brewed lately is hop crazy trying to get rid of old season hops.

Latest posts

Back