Double Batch Electric System

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input brewers.

I'm leaning towards a 3600W element and using an over the side 2400W element to ramp temps up quicker then fall back to the 3600W one for the boil.

Having said that I can still see the benefit of two 2200W elements for that little bit of extra boil "oomph".

Hmmm...I think I need to do some more research before pulling the trigger on the final set up

Cheers,
cliffo

I've only brewed once on my new system, but I have 2 x 2200W Keg King elements in my kettle, and it was a very vigorous boil of 55L in a 95L pot. I plan to also do single batches (around 33L pre-boil) and will only use one element once up to temp. I would imagine with a 3600W element, you will get to the boil, but it won't be a rolling boil unless you reduce the surface area of your pot.

Cheers

i can and do, brew double batches with a single 2400W element.

I do need to reduce the surface area of the pot, its a low and possibly bordline boil and it certainly takes a while - but its doable for an occasional brew. So - the upshot is, anything north of 2400W is practicable and the rest is about how fast you want to get there and making sure you dont go too far and boil too hard.

I personally think a single 3600W element will be fine if you aren't in too much of a hurry, and if you add in extra you will probably want to be able to control it in some way, either by turning it off, taking it out or dimming it down

Back