Doppelbock Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan WABC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I had my first Weihenstephaner Korbinian on the weekend and rated it pretty highly. I'd like to do a Doppelbock as my first partial and wondered if anyone could suggest a recipe?

Cheers! :icon_cheers:

What malts do you have to use in your partial?

Perhaps something like this

I did mine All grain, it came out at 8.9% and was fantastic. This would be close to the extract version..

OG - 1.081
FG - 1.016

Not sure of batch size so i will give %

Pilsner liquid extract (or extra light LME) - 50%
Munich malt - 40%
Aromatic malt - 5%
Caramunich II - 5%
Perhaps a touch of choc malt for colour adjustment but keep below 1%

I used Wyeast Munich Lager - 2308 - I brewed a small batch of vienna lager (10L) and pitched onto the entire yeast cake when the Vienna had finished. If using liquid you need a BIG starter. If your using dry yeast go for something like S-23 but you should prob use 4 packs.

Hops any noble hop one addition at 60 min and another @ 30 min to IBU 22

Lager for as long as your can

So far, I have zero malt for this brew. I had a pretty good idea of what I needed but was unsure of the quantities. The recipe you posted looks really good. I'll use that as a base with some slight modifications.

Unfortunately, I can't get my hands on liquid yeast easily, so I'll probably have to go with dry yeast. I do currently have a generic lager using Saflager W-34/70 in primary. Do you think I could use this yeast cake?

Also, I would like to get some raisin undertones, would Crystal 80L be the way to go about this?

Crystal 80 depending on the quantity will give caramel flavours. Although a light caramel characteristic is acceptable for this style it is usually derived from a long boil rather than the addition of crystal malts. I get more raisin from dark crystal (120L). I would try and use some darker caramunich for this style rather than crystal malts.

As far as the yeast goes, yes I would try it. What kind of lager are you brewing? Is there a heap of hop material in the fermenter that will still be there when you throw in your doppelbock wort? If so I perhaps would avoid it, if its clean, go for it.

If by chance you may be using pilsner malt (grain) in your recipe you will need to give it a good boil for 90min or your beer may have a creamed corn taste to it (DMS).

EDIT - try and pitch at 8C and raise over 2 days to 10 C. - Im assuming you have temp control?

Cheers

+1 darker caramunich, like caramunich II.

Have to look up my doppelbock recipe and see what I have used for it in the past. I'll be brewing a bock soon off the yeast cake of a vienna lager, so could follow that up with a doppelbock.........mmmmmm

Okay, I'll scrap the Crystal and go for Caramunich.

The lager I'm currently brewing is a Coopers two-can lager with 25 grams of Hallertau added at 10 minutes. I'm going to follow that up with the exact same brew on the yeast cake to see if there is any difference between the two (just a little experiment as this is my first time re-using the yeast cake). I probably shouldn't re-use that cake for the Doppelbock as there will be quite a lot of Hallertau built up on it.

For the base, I was just going to use light liquid malt extract.

As for temp control, I brew lagers in my garage as it's constantly 10 to 12 degrees Celsius during winter. No dedicated fridge, unfortunately.

If anyone would be kind enough to share their AG Doppelbock recipes for a 23L batch, I'd appreciate it. I'm just itching to give this a try.

Also, I would like to get some raisin undertones, would Crystal 80L be the way to go about this?

If you want raisin, Caraaroma (the darkest of the crystals IIRC) is the way to go

Latest posts

Back