Don't you hate it...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwil7034

Reaction score
Go to start two brews this morning, one a Hop Hog clone the other an Irish Red and I have managed to forget the Magnum. In my drunken order frenzy Wednesday night I bought hallertau 4.8% instead, no idea how :(

Its freakin SUNDAY!!!! grrgh NOTHING is open today

Looks like im going to have to raid the fridge for a substitute for the Irish Red for today. The Hop Hog clone pretty much requires it as there is no real substitute for Magnum ;(

So annoyed at myself right now!

mwil7034 said:
Go to start two brews this morning, one a Hop Hog clone the other an Irish Red and I have managed to forget the Magnum. In my drunken order frenzy Wednesday night I bought hallertau 4.8% instead, no idea how :(

Looks like im going to have to raid the fridge for a substitute for the Irish Red for today. The Hop Hog clone pretty much requires it as there is no real substitute for Magnum ;(

Where are you? If you're in sydney the hop and grain in Enmore is open to 2 and I think Barleyman in Padstow is also open today

Is the magnum for bittering or flavour/aroma?

Will be able to sub in any other good buffering hop if it's just for bitterness.

I'm on the Central Coast, I was using the Magnum to bitter both beers. In the end I used the Hallertau mF to bitter the irish red instead, tasting it from the kettle indicates it may have worked. We'll see how it goes I suppose...

Got a supply of Magnum Monday and brewed the hop hog clone so that should at least turn out if the Irish red fails

mwil7034 said:

Thats exactly what happend to me with my hop hog... almost exactly.

i found out that i was missing the Magnum from my order... after the grain had gone into the water.
mad dash to the lhbs (tuhb in gosford) during the mash (lucky it was Sat morning) to get the hops.

i think there is a Hop Hog curse :eek:
I also burnt a hole through the bag and had to scoop all the grain out by hand :angry:

Latest posts

Back