Does clear glass bottle affect the taste of brewed beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i don't know that the colour affects the flavour unless you can't keep your clear bottles out of direct light; this can affect the flavour. not sure what it's called but someone more knowledgeable here will be able to chime in. light strike or something i think it's called.

Dark bottle help stop lightstrike. You get a sulpher sort of smell. Some beers suffer more than others. Coopers generally doesnt but xxxx/new/vb does.

Yerp, light striking will effect the hop compounds and "skunk" the beer. So use clear bottles if that is all you have access to by all means, but keep them out of all light (in boxes, in a dark cupboard or in the fridge etc).

If you can obtain brown bottles over time though, this just adds that extra protection from light if you say want to put the bottles in a tub of ice at a party outside. I still keep my brown bottles in a box inside a dark cupboard to be on the safe side.

Thanks folks. I was putting most in brown bottles, but some is in clear bottles and son commented that it didn't taste the same.

The funny thing is the beer in the glass bottles was fine till they were in the fridge a couple of days .. Im guessing it might have been the light from the fridge.

Yes, need to ask that leprechaun in the fridge to turn the light off when you close the door.

Yob said:
you have a UV light in the fridge?

Is it fluoro? Contains a lot of light from that part of the spectrum. Lightstrike doesn't require a long time.

All light is damaging to an extent - just that the blue light end of the spectrum seems to create the most.

Green bottles are less effective against lightstrike, too.
I have read fluros are okay at a distance >1 metre (makes you wonder about the clear bottled beers cozying up to the fluros in bottle shop fridges).
As Fletcher pointed out, bottle in glass but keep it out of the (day)light

Dear altpferd, firstly, welcome to homebrewing and the site. I did mean to respond to your intro post but it's funny how time slips away. Sounds like you may be on the slippery slope to serious long term brewing. As such, if you require more bottles I have plenty to spare. I'm just over the hill in Kyogle so if ever you're down this way, feel free to drop in and pick them up. Further details here: http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/72808-100-dozen-free-bottles-northern-nsw/

is this why Corona always tastes like shit coming out of the fridge?

:p

(sorry... Corona would taste like shit in a diamond encrusted bottle made from dark matter and has never been in my fridge....ever)

It tastes ok on a hot day if its handed to you by a bird with massive jugs....

Yob said:
Never seen a fidge with a fluoro light Manticle, not saying they dont exist just rare as rockin horse shit (and problematic at best)
I don't know much about fridges admittedly (otherwise mine would be working) but my point is that it is not necessarily UV light that is exclusively the cause of damaging chemical reactions and also that various light sources emit some level of UV, even if they are not blacklights.

Thus it could be the light in the fridge or even the ambient light in the kitchen leading to hop degradation/skunking.

I've had a go at staff at a few bottle shops because their glass fridges either have sunlight hitting them directly or by reflection... Most decent beers are in brown bottles these days, but when the light's direct some is still gonna get through.

If it's on display, walk away.

Ultraviolet emission (wikipedia)
Fluorescent lamps emit a small amount of ultraviolet (UV) light. A 1993 study in the US found that ultraviolet exposure from sitting under fluorescent lights for eight hours is equivalent to only one minute of sun exposure.[48] Very sensitive individuals may experience a variety of health problems relating to light sensitivity that is aggravated by artificial lighting.
The ultraviolet light from a fluorescent lamp can degrade the pigments in paintings (especially watercolor pigments) and bleach the dyes used in textiles and some printing. Valuable art work must be protected from ultraviolet light by placing additional glass or transparent acrylic sheets between the lamp and the art work

The first part is relevant if talking about skin cancer etc - my take on it comes from an understanding of the latter.

I'm postulating only but if there is exposure to light and the beer is in clear bottles then there is a risk. If there are bad flavours in said bottles that might be reasonably associated with light strike and the light exposure is in the fridge or kitchen, theoretically it might be possible. A hop differs from a human in its vulnerability to UV.

Back