Does C02 Go Bad?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lawrence

Blow me eric8
Reaction score
I was recently given an old C02 bottle which is dated 1999.

I thought that it would be good for an emergency if my other bottle ever ran out.

My system sprung a leak over the weekend and emptied a full bottle, so now I want to use this C02 bottle so I can continue drinking through the remainder of this week until I can get to BOC for a refill.

Will 12 year old C02 still be OK to use?

Greg

I'd fit a reg, open carefully and have a sniff - the only thing I can think of is if it has developed a metallic or rusty taint over the years.

I can't see how it would. You may have an issue getting it refilled as it might need re-testing.

Cheers SJ

If your acquired bottle also BOC, then you shouldn't have a drama. Unless things have changed since I worked for them, they don't actually "refill' any bottles, but exchange your empty for a full one that's been tested. Every single bottle for every gas gets tested, they are extremely thorough. Mostly to cover their own arses, but that's a good thing for the customer.

As for whether you can use the 1999 bottle, I don't see why not. Let us know if it smells or tastes weird.

Its a coca cola cylinder, so I doubt that BOC will exchange it but it might be worth a try.
Havent tasted any strange flavours in teh beer, but I'm not carbonating with the old gas, just using it to push the beer out.
I was hoping that someone may be able to tell me if it is safe.
Googled shelf life of CO2, but came up with little more than life of the bottles.

Greg

Hi Gregor,

It should be pure C02, hence I can't see how it would break down or degrade over time. The worst that could happen over time, if there is moisture in the cylinder and the cylinder is a steel one, is that carbonic acid (water + C02) could damage/corrode the cylinder.

Cheers SJ

Hi Gregor,

It should be pure C02, hence I can't see how it would break down or degrade over time. The worst that could happen over time, if there is moisture in the cylinder and the cylinder is a steel one, is that carbonic acid (water + C02) could damage/corrode the cylinder.

Cheers SJ

So no bad flavours then?

I'd fit a reg, open carefully and have a sniff - the only thing I can think of is if it has developed a metallic or rusty taint over the years.

Be VERY Careful doing this.
CO2 has no odour, colour or flavour. It is also an anestheric so it deadens your sense of smell.
So, a casual quick whiff of CO2 straight from the reg could be enough to knock you on your arse.

Having spent a lot of time around winery equipment and dealing with tanks that contain >10,000L of CO2, it's nothing to be casual about - plenty of people have died having a careful sniff of a tank and falling into a 'pool' of heavier-than-air CO2.

Chris

Latest posts

Back