Does Bottled Homebrew Keep Maturing In Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanj

Reaction score
Hello,

i recently brewed an american pale ale and after 4 weeks in the bottle I now want to refrigerate some of it to drink. I know brews keeep maturing in the bottle and get better with age but do thye keep maturing and getting better after you put them in the fridge?

Yes they do. In my opinion, most brews actually benefit from being stored in the fridge for longer periods.

Once they are carbonated and the yeast has had a chance to 'scrub' any off flavours in the bottle (eg 2-4 weeks), move as many as you can to the fridge. I don't think they benefit from any longer at room temp, but a few weeks in the fridge tends to improve them greatly.

Note that I wouldn't recommend this for the more 'noble' ales but for lagers and pale ales you'd be surprised at the result.

Yes, they will. But it will be both slower and different, the fridge really helps clarity and seems to help head retention though I'm not sure on that one.

Back