Does Anyone Know Much About Splenda?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peted27

Reaction score
I checked the side of a box of splenda this morning and the main ingredient is maltodextrin, with 1.2% sweetener (sucralose).

My question is this, can i buy a 1kg bag of maltodextrin from the HBS for $4 and use that instead of buying 55g of splenda for $5 (ish). Would there be any difference between the two? (Obviously excluding the sweetener)

Anyway, that was my random question, and yet another discovery of paying through the nose for something that is basically worthless.....

I checked the side of a box of splenda this morning and the main ingredient is maltodextrin, with 1.2% sweetener (sucralose).

My question is this, can i buy a 1kg bag of maltodextrin from the HBS for $4 and use that instead of buying 55g of splenda for $5 (ish). Would there be any difference between the two? (Obviously excluding the sweetener)

Anyway, that was my random question, and yet another discovery of paying through the nose for something that is basically worthless.....

Sucralose is about 100 times a sweet as regular sugar so they need to use a filler of some kind to make it easier for you to measure (ever tried measuring 1/100th of a teaspoon). Yes you could buy a bag of maltodextrin and some sucralose and mix it yourself. I'd rather just use real sugar though. Unless you are diabetic or using way more than a sensible amount, that artificial stuff won't be doing you any good anyway.

Cheers
Dave

+1 on the volume filler.

I use the tablet form they are very sweet but taste much better than saccharin based sweeteners. Much more expensive though, you get what you pay for.

edit: In tea I may add.

Fat chicks at work love the stuff. I don't have a sweet tooth at all, give me a Vindaloo or a chicken wing any day. I work part time evening shifts and get an energy low about 8 o'clock ... body is saying "where's the beer, where's the beer :p ) so I grab a Cadbury Boost bar from the vending machine and I nearly puke but it does the job and I'm on skates for the rest of the shift.

yeah i dont use the stuff myself, swmbo adds it to tea.... i just happened to read the ingredients and was like wtf?? why so expensive..... but if the maltodextrin is just a filler, and the sweetener does the rest, that makes more sense to me...

good luck homogenising that.

Yeah... my dad was in the food industry for years and they use some pretty heavy duty kit to get an even mix in that kind of thing. Otherwise you end up with sweet patches and not so sweet patches.

V-Model-Powder-Mixer-SVP-.jpg

I think this might be a little too big for home use but its the kind of thing they use to get an even mix.

Cheers
Dave

Allaha Akhbar :icon_cheers:
ItsATrap.jpg

ackbar.jpg

j/k - I understand what you said, though I doubt it is relevant for a 'yay, I'm able to drink alcohol' statement. On a similar note, "mazel tov - your pork roast is ready."

My question to the OP - where can you buy 12g of sucralose, and how much does it cost?

Isn't that what lemon is for?
I hate milk and/or sugar in my tea. Rest of my family drinks tea with milk - ugh looks and tastes like the murray river IMO

Try it with condensed milk and Cardamons just like the Ganges river pollution :unsure:
+ 2 sugars.

Latest posts

Back