Doc's Infinity + 2 Quad Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I smelled hops....

Looks very interesting Doc. Could you post the recipe and your hop schedule?

It was 9 additions of 283 grams made up of the 23 hop blend.
Additions were Mash Hop, Sparge Water Hop, First Wort Hop, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10.

38.4% TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK
38.4% TF Golden Promise Pale Ale Ma UK
17.6% Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner Germany
5.6% Cane Sugar

Doc

Ive never even heard of sparge hops before. Sounds like itll be a top brew

Doc,

Just had a flash back a couple of years to a triple DIPA I brewed in '06 that was sort of a DFH 90min clone on roids. It had a starting OG of 1.100 and hop mashing, FWH and 13 hop additions over a 90 min boil (about every 7 or so minutes) to give a calculated IBU of 390, which was just over 500g in 22Ltrs. It was amazing, dry hopped for 3 weeks, kegged and bottled. I think the only issues I had were with kettle trub and dry hops, but all in all an awesome experience.

I think it's time again for a monster double/triple/quad IPA...

Subscribed.... This will be an interesting review.

Now where are those folk who like to calculate how cheap our brewing is? Let's do some numbers :p

Hope she turns out well for you Doc. I get tempted to go 'big' and beyond the usual IPA realms, but I find there's relatively little info/feedback on 100+ IBU beers to build upon and the cost of hops for a big IPA keeps me from going too experimental - at least until I have a Smurto hop forest growing.

Now where are those folk who like to calculate how cheap our brewing is? Let's do some numbers :p

Hope she turns out well for you Doc. I get tempted to go 'big' and beyond the usual IPA realms, but I find there's relatively little info/feedback on 100+ IBU beers to build upon and the cost of hops for a big IPA keeps me from going too experimental - at least until I have a Smurto hop forest growing.

Funnily enough the first thing i did when i saw this thread was calculate the amount of wet hops i would need to brew it :lol:

Doc used 2.54kg of hops not including whatever he dry hops and stuffs in a randall.

Assuming wet hops are 85% water i would need 17kg of fresh flowers.......

I did predict a crop of 7-8kg wet of each of the 5 plants..... :ph34r:

Yer. I've got two big moccona jars of POR from last year in the freezer as well as assorted pellet dregs and thought...

Funnily enough the first thing i did when i saw this thread was calculate the amount of wet hops i would need to brew it :lol:

Doc used 2.54kg of hops not including whatever he dry hops and stuffs in a randall.

Assuming wet hops are 85% water i would need 17kg of fresh flowers.......

Sounds like you could do 2 Doc Quad IPAs a year and still have enough to cover the rest of the year. where is the green with jelousy icon

Sounds like you could do 2 Doc Quad IPAs a year and still have enough to cover the rest of the year. where is the green with jelousy icon

You could grow hops in Colac...

You could grow hops in Colac...

I am, but I won't get to Smurto's level this year.

Without going too far off topic anyone got a book or link to some completely 'out there' beers like Docs Quad?

Doc - How do you even begin to formulate a beer of this size ie how do you balance ~ 400 IBUs ?

Doc - How do you even begin to formulate a beer of this size ie how do you balance ~ 400 IBUs ?
Balance is not a word that applies to beers such as this. Actually, if the hops used were placed on one end of a plank, and the grain on the other, then it would balance! :p

You stuff as much grain in the mash tun as feasibly possible and choose a yeast that has a fighting chance of eating through it all whilst still providing a multi-dimensional beer.

OG is 1.104 and the yeast is Pacman. Chomp chomp chomp yeasties.

Doc

Thanks to a suggestion from Ozbeer_MD the blow off vessel is now hopped too.

On a side note the airlock blocked and the QuadIPA blew the fermenter lid off.

In the cleanup I got krausen on my shirt sleeve. Hop Aftershave for me today :p

Doc

photo_2_.JPG

gjf0.jpg

Latest posts

Back